We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai airport

Reading
reviews: 12
Dubai airport

We've flown Emirates to the Maldives from Gatwick three times in the last three years, connecting at Dubai obviously. Twice things went very smoothly, but on the most recent trip both outward and homebound they disembarked a full 777 via steps and buses rather than to a pier in 36-degree heat on the way back. Were we just lucky with the first two trips, and is it always pot luck? Unlikely to go anywhere via Dubai again if it is, assuming the new Qatar airport will use piers only.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
1. Re: Dubai airport

In the 'old days' airports around the world used buses to from terminals, quite normal, or you walked to the plane.

There are still countless airports around the world where that still happens. yes using the piers is convenient, but go to many places where you walk or bus to the aircraft, no big deal at all. I certainly would not stop using an airport because of it.

Long time since I was in Europe but I remember doing the same at airports there, I would guess it still happens too, when you have busy times other aircraft might not be ready to leave the gate, these things happen.

I would prefer to leave on a bus than wait for ages until the gate was available.

Also when aircraft use both the front 'and' the back doors they can get passengers on an off quite quickly.

I would go as far as saying ever since a child I like the experience of walking on or off a plane, see the big engines, the jet-fuel smell.

If you limit airports because they don't have piers you are eliminating agreat number of places to visit.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Edited: 6:36 am, October 17, 2012
Reading
2. Re: Dubai airport

I know all that stuff, thanks. I bought the ticket, I prefer piers, one reason for choosing to go via Dubai rather than Qatar. Dubai is supposed to be one of the world's most sophisticated airports but clambering onto a packed bus in the middle of the night for a trip round the perimeter is a bit, well, 1960s. Not to mention the issue for anyone who might find steps hard work for mobility reasons. But I do also love the smell of jet fuel...

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Dubai airport

I think most airports particularly those that have been built or upgraded recently are likely to use piers for aircraft access.

However there could be any number of operational reasons why this doesn't happen on a particular flight and alternative arrangements have to be made - inconvenient but just another one of those things you have to put up with in respect of 21st century air travel.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Dubai airport

At peak hours it may be necessary to use bus transfers - even at New Doha International Airport when it hopefully opens sometimes next year.

Reading
5. Re: Dubai airport

What's the latest opening date for Doha? I read 12/12/12, but some time ago.

Dubai was certainly busy outbound at around midnight local time, but the pilot specifically said it was quiet when we landed on the way back around 1300 and there seemed to be maybe a quarter of the numbers in the terminal.

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 891
6. Re: Dubai airport

Dubai still has bus transfers from some flights, we have had it done rarely but this would not be a deal breaker for us.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: Dubai airport

What's the latest opening date for Doha? I read 12/12/12, but some time ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second half of 2013. They had to sack the contractor in charge of all the lounges.

dohanews.co/post/…axzz29YsJ4Xyt

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
8. Re: Dubai airport

Quite apart from buses, last week in Dubai in transit we went through a silly system that required us to go up a level then find a security screening station (it was quite a hike) before going back down to the transit level. Why aren't all airports like Changi?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
9. Re: Dubai airport

"Why aren't all airports like Changi?"

Because many countries, especially in the Middle East, are required the examine all bags coming into the country. Also, Changi is unique in that every flight is international.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
10. Re: Dubai airport

When we used BHX-DXB flights we were transferred via bus every time.

Its not at all unusual?