We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 1
United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Hello, we will be travelling to Orlando via United in Feb. Has anyone ever checked a car seat and a booster with United? We will be travelling with our almost 4 year old and 6 year old. Our 6 year old is still in a 5 point harness here, but is big enough for a booster seat. Our almost 4 year old still needs a point a 5 point harness. I see that on United Website you are allowed to bring a car seat in addition to your checked baggage, but oversize rules apply.

Does anyone know if United considers a booster seat as the same thing as a car seat? As well, we measured our smallest car seat and we come up with 67 linear inches... oversize is anything over 62 inches. It would take a pretty small car seat to be under the 62 linear inch rule. Has anyone checked a car seat that is under the 62 inch rule? If it was over 62 inches, were you charged $100?

Thanks!

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
1. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

I don't believe they will charge you anything for a car seat, even if it is a little bit taller, I just can't imagine that, can't talk about personal experience though!

Airlines usually consider a booster seat as the same thing, yes. You can even take the booster seat into the cabin if you want, your child may however not sit in it during take off and landing, I've seen a lot of kids with booster seats on planes (incl. United)....at least on domestic U.S. flights.

If I were you, I'd contact United just to be sure.

Edited: 7:46 am, October 15, 2012
Calgary, Alberta...
2. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Thanks for your reply. I did call united last night and the agent confirmed what I read on the website. If it measures over 62" linear it is subject to a $100 charge for oversize. Other than an infant seat, I don't see how any car seats can measure less than 62". We can however take it on board, but then that' means carrying around 2 airports as we have a connection in Houston going to mco and Chicago coming home.

Edited: 8:34 am, October 15, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
3. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Michelle, You were provided questionable advice by the United person.

I thought I remembered a section of the contract of carriage that dealt with the issue and went and looked it up...

"The items listed below will not be included as part of the Checked Baggage Policy, and can be checked free of charge:

(i)...

(ii)...

(iii) One child/infant’s car restraint seat or one collapsible stroller.

NOTE: One seat and collapsible stroller is allowed for each accompanied child."

The link for the contract of carriage is:

united.com/web/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf

The section quoted above is Rule 23, Section B, part G, item 1 on page 22.

Make sure there are absolutely no dangly bits that are hanging off the seats when you check them in.

Calgary, Alberta...
4. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Thank you GeoMedic for your reply. There definitely seems to be some conflicting info regarding this. The website says: "United accepts one stroller or one carseat in addition to a customer's baggage allowance. When checked as baggage, all oversize and overweight charges will apply", which contradicts the Contract of Carriage info that you posted. I just can't see how any toddler car seat can be under the 62 linear inches. I am trying to get away from renting a car seat at the car rental.

Illinois
reviews: 16
5. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Maybe it's only free if you gate check it? I managed to figure out a way to attach an extra shoulder strap from a suitcase to my daughter's car seat so I could carry it over my shoulder. I had to carry it though, as she sat in it on the plane. I've checked her booster seat for free, but she's 14 now, so that might have been before they added all the charges, and the booster seat was smaller than the baggage allowance.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
6. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Car seats go through all the time (the airline is not responsible for damage in transit). If they were charging based on size, and nearly all seats go beyond 62", there would be tremendous hew and cry that I'm just not seeing.

7. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

Hello! I'm flying with united domestic and international. I've paid the 10% of our ticket price as required for my my toddler who will be seated on my lap. It's a 15 hour flight total. Was wondering if I could bring is graco car seat for when he sleeps. I'm seated in bassinet/bulkhead seats. Do u think that it would be ok to do this? He will be directly in front of me. I'm thinking my arms are gonna break if I have to carry him the entire flight!

Illinois
reviews: 16
8. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

AFAIK, you can only use the car seat if there is an empty seat next to you, which doesn't happen to me very often. If you are traveling with him as a lap child, they expect you to keep him on your lap. I used to get a discount on seats for my daughter (maybe 50%) when she was under 2, but I don't know if any airlines still do this as she's 15 now. I don't know if they'd let you keep the car seat on the floor in front of you during travel.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

I would strongly advice you to buy a seat for your child. Lap child really only works on short haul. 15 hours with a toddler on your lap, will not be a pleasant experience, either for you or your child, who won't understand why they have to sit on your lap for 15 hours. If you think you can strap the child into a car seat and sit them on the floor at your feet(?) I'm not sure this will be permitted, you will need to have the child in your lap.

Unless is a serious financial issue, buy the child a seat.

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
10. Re: United Airlines - checking a car seat and booster

You will not be able to use the car seat unless you have booked him an own seat.