We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 122
debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

I am asking this because flying isn't my favorite thing in the world. My wife and I are going to Buenos Aires over Xmas. I am debating between the two airlines listed above. A couple people have told me that Aerolineas Argentinas isn't so great. I would just like a few other opinions. In addition, the Aerolineas plane is a Airbus 340, and the LAN plane is a 767-300. I would prefer to be on a newer plane. Can anyone tell me which model is newer? Finally is there any way to check the safety record of various airlines? Lastly, one of the flights leaves in the morning and get in in the evening, and one of the flights leaves in the evening and get in the following morning. Are night time flights generally more turbulent? Thanks in advance for anyone who answers my silly questions.

14 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
1. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

Hi,

"I would prefer to be on a newer plane. Can anyone tell me which model is newer? "

==+> The Boeing is a B767-300 and that dates back to February of 1988 as it debuted with American Airlines as the launch customer.

Boeing:

boeing.com/commercial/…background.html

It appears that LAN's fleet B763's range in age from 2004 to as new as 2012

AirFleets.net:

airfleets.net/flottecie/LAN%20Airlines-activ…

For the A340 from Aerolineas Argentinas, it's either an a340-200 or A340-300

A340-200:

airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/…

A340-300:

airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/…

According to Airfleets.net the dates on Aerolineas Argentinas' fleet of A342's are all 1999 editions, and A343's range from 2007 to 2012..

airfleets.net:

airfleets.net/flottecie/Aerolineas%20Argenti…

I would caution here that age alone is not a reliable determination to aircraft safety per se.. it IS one part, but the other very pertinent parts are proper maintenance and operation.

So that's the age issue..

On the safety side.. That's something that each country maintains records of.. There are some 3rd party sites, but I'd caution to make sure you differentiate between what is official recorded data and what is unofficial accounts.

"Are night time flights generally more turbulent?"

==> Generally speaking no.. It's more the weather you'll fly thru that dictates this.. and that's not really a day-time versus night-time matter, but is either more seasonal in nature or date specific.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:50 pm, October 05, 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
2. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

thanks for the helpful insight.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 78
3. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

If you have a choice do not consider Aerolineas under any circumstances..LAN is a far surperior airline in terms of service, aircraft and safety.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
4. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

Hi,

Shooter25,

"If you have a choice do not consider Aerolineas under any circumstances..LAN is a far surperior airline in terms of service, aircraft and safety."

==> Just out if curiosity, what's the basis for the position that LAN is "far superior" in terms of safety?

The reason I ask is that a quick look at some 3rd party sites tells me that they have nearly identical safety records for fatalities.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

Travel Safe,

Fort Myers, Florida
5. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

Could someone tell me please how bad Aerolineas actually is. Is it as bad as American Airlines or far worse? Would I be able to reserve seats when I buy the tickets? Thanks.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
6. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

We flew domestic flights within Argentina with Aerolineas Argentina (AR). They were fine -- no issues or problems at all. Don't know about international flights.

We also flew LAN from Miami to Lima. Again, no issues or problems at all. On that trip our first leg (domestic IAD to MIA) was with American Airlines (AA & LAN codeshare). The LAN plane was nicer, newer and cleaner. We flew domestic in Peru with LAN Peru, again no problems.

For the domestic flights within Argentina, we chose Aerolineas because they had many more flights to choose from. For one itinerary we wanted, LAN had only two flights a week, while AR had several each day!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 51
7. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

I never thought I’d read some day a post by GOPBI comparing the two major airlines of my country!

I hate Aerolíneas because I've never had anything but bad experiences with them, and I love LAN because every time I've flown them the trip was perfect.

One person's experiences have no valid statistic meaning on an airline's performance, so I've looked up some airline ratings:

Trip Advisor: only 33% recommend Aerolíneas, and 78% recommend LAN

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Airlines

Much less dramatic (and more reliable, I presume) on Skytrax, Aerolíneas is rated 4.2 / 10 and LAN is rated 6.0 / 10

(so I guess I was just lucky everytime I flew LAN?).

Oliver, you should be able to choose your seats on either Aerolíneas or LAN. I told you on the Argentina forum that LAN was updating their booking system, but that won't take forever ...

Readhead, you are absolutely right about Aerolíneas having much more flights within Argentina, and that is a clear advantage for them over LAN.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 30
8. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

Aerolineas Argentinas is a safe airline. However, they are widely considered one of the worst airlines in the world in terms of onboard service and overall operational reliability. They regularly have wildcat strikes by their staff (especially pilots) and have such severe financial problems that they were until recently kicked out of the IATA Clearinghouse (how airlines settle bills with each other) for repeatedly being unable to pay their bills.

LAN is a much more reliable option.

Fort Myers, Florida
9. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

I am booking this morning.....It now appears that LAN is no longer an option. I could take an Aerolineas flight that flies throughout the day, or an American airlines flight that flies throughout the night. As most of you know American Airlines is in bankruptcy protection. Which of the two airlines would you choose? Thanks again for all the help. By the way, the American flight would be a 777, and the Aerolineas flight would be a A-340-300.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 37
10. Re: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN

I would swim before I'd take either American or Aerolineas

Reply to: debating between Aerolineas Argentinas, and LAN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted