We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 1
United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

Hello, sorry if this question has been asked many times. I booked our flights with United Airlines online last night. We are flying from Calgary to Orlando. I entered our passport numbers at the time of booking, but when I look at our reservations today, our passport number does not show up. So, I entered the passport numbers again and then went back in and looked and again they disappeared. I just called United and the lady told me that we do not have to provide our passport number ahead of time. I was under the impression this was supposed to be provided at least 72 hours ahead of time. What am I missing???

As a side note, I have been very impressed with United. When I booked our tickets I forgot to put our middle names in as they are on our passport. I called United and they added our middle names to our eticket and emailed me a new copy. Not sure if that was necessary, but it eased my mind.

Thanks!

27 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
1. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

You should have no issue just showing your passport.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

The reservations agent is correct on that you don't have to provide the information up front. You can enter it at online check in, or check in at Calgary and just show the gate agent your passport.

Entering the API information at booking is one of those issues that doesn't appear to have been addressed. If you have a Mileage Plus account you can add your API to your profile so that it automatically gets added to the reservation when you book it.

Glad you like United so far. No I'm not an employee but a very frequent UA flyer. Despite some merger hiccups (huge mechanical delays issue over the summer) which are being overcome, generally I've seeing the service steadily improve over the last 18 months or so.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
3. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

Good to hear about someone´s successful experiences. Here´s an interesting article about UAL which the DOT has called ¨ by far the most complained-about airline¨:

http://tinyurl.com/8bgq99m

Louisiana
reviews: 65
4. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

I had the same issue a few months back. It just wouldn't accept it. Some glitch in their system I guessed. No problem when I checked in at the counter.

Wakefield, United...
5. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

I have just booked a flight for my son to the USA from the UK who has a visa and I was just wondering how I can log on to fill in the APIS details or is this not necessary.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
6. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

Karen L, when we book flights with VA, we log into "Manage My Booking" and we can enter the API details there. If you can't do it, they will do it at check-in for him. It just saves a lot of time if people can fill the details in before getting to the airport.

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 3
7. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

I had the same situation a few month back, not only for my passport data but also when I entered my US Address. I entered it and then it disappeared.

When I checked in online on the date of travel all the data was there though. So in my case it was apparently saved but not displayed in the booking. (For whatever reason)

Bicester, United...
reviews: 5
8. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

I seem to be having the same problem. I go to New York in a few weeks and have tried several times to enter the information but never shows. Has anyone recently had the same thing? And do I need to do anything prior to check in at the airport?

Edmonton
reviews: 14
9. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

I've had the same problem and the reason I'm told is because they need to verify the passport for intertantional travel, so we couldn't complete it until we scanned our passports at the airport.

Niagara Falls...
reviews: 10
10. Re: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information

Maried11,

Exactly the same thing I experienced several months ago. - there was no problem whatsoever when I scanned my passport at YYZ - just could not do it in advance.

Reply to: United Airlines - Advance Passenger Information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted