We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condor Review

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
Condor Review

Just finished a round trip on Condor from Seattle to Frankfurt with a return from Basel in their Comfort Class (Condor's business class). I had trouble finding recent reviews so thought I would share my experiences.

Booking was easy on the Condor website and telephone calls for seat reservations, etc. were handled professionally and with courtesy. When I decided to change the itinerary and not use the Frankfurt/Basel portion on the outbound flight, it was easy to cancel the FRA/BSL portion only and the refund was in my account within 48 hours.

Checking in - Seattle check in staff were pleasant and volunteered information about the use of the airline lounge arranged for comfort class passengers. Check in in Frankfurt was efficient with little information given and no information volunteered about lounge facilities though the agent answered my question. The agent did not mention that there would be a requirement to clear security twice if I used the lounge and he did not mention the system for getting to the gate being used for the flight. It was separate from the rest of the gates in the terminal and required getting through security a second time as well as some sort of Condor boarding pass check. There was an extremely long line for the Condor check as there was not enough staff. No one seemed able to find out why some passengers were supposed to use one line while others were supposed to use a different line. It was frustrating and confusing. There was no line for their premium passengers. This is so easy to resolve with some signs and a staff member pointing passengers in the right direction as they approached the area.

Flights - the cabin crew were absolutely terrific both ways. Helpful, smiling and professional. The food was very good indeed! There are several starters all served on one tray so you can work your way through them as you wish. Plenty of hot, fresh bread and rolls. There were 3 choices for a main course - seemed to be a meat, a fish and a vegetarian choice both ways. I had the meat and it was very good! There is a cheese a fruit plate next and then dessert. Bar service is somewhat limited for choices of liquor but not so much that it was a problem. There are several wines on offer and the menu gave a description of each that was interesting and helpful. There are aperitifs and digestifs available.

There were rounds of water and juice regularly offered and an ice cream in between the two meal services on the west bound. The second meal was very good both ways though simpler than the first.

In flight entertainment - screens on the front bulkheads with very recent films and some cartoons and TV shows. The usual music and other channels were also available. Fine particularly given the fare one pays.

Baggage seemed to be handled efficiently and arrived quickly on the carousels without damage, etc.

My only complaint is one that will stop me from flying Condor again. The seats in the Comfort Class cabin are absolutely the most uncomfortable business class seats I've ever experienced. They are probably 10 or 15 years out-of-date and there isn't enough pitch to allow more than a small foot rest elevation and a few degrees of recline. The foot rest has a flip down "shelf" for the bottom of your feet but it is made of metal and only about 3" so just your heel fits on it and the metal edge digs into your foot - okay if you are wearing shoes but most passengers take off their shoes on a 10 hours flight! It was also not particularly easy to figure out how to adjust it for comfort.

If the seat could be improved to a more comfortable, long haul seat (I don't expect lay flat at the fares one pays on Condor but something that has a more comfortable recline and easier adjustments), I would opt for Condor in the future on at least some of my long haul flights to Europe and that's a serious compliment to them because I'm usually in BA First.

If you can manage the seat situation, I would highly recommend Condor for a business class flight at a much reduced fare!

28 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Condor Review

There are several Condor reviews here:

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/condor.htm

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Condor Review

A very well written and balanced review. Good job and thanks.

Plantation, Florida
reviews: 11
3. Re: Condor Review

You said it best... If you can manage the seat situation, I'd recommend them too. They were recommended to me by family that's used them before for several long haul flight. I have no complaints but if you think your business seat was uncomfortable, try the coach for 10 hours and you'll change your mind. Regardless, I survived and I'd fly them again because everything else, including price and amount of stops offered was great.

Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 16
4. Re: Condor Review

I am considering using them for Sanford to Glasgow. It does not appear that there are upgrades available online, were you able to upgrade at the airport?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
5. Re: Condor Review

I didn't upgrade but purchased business class from the start. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about upgrading on Condor.

6. Re: Condor Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:39 am, March 27, 2013

Vancouver Canada
reviews: 1
7. Re: Condor Review

I,m used to flying out of Heathrow to YVR. I hate it. I hate the huge, noisy,smelly airport. Since we have a large asian and east indian population in vancouver many of the passengers are of these origins. For the first time now, I,m travelling with condor and am flying out of frankfurt. Never been at this airport but seem to read alot of non enthusiastic comments such as "huge" and "bad food". But what are the passengers like on the plane? Are they mostly germans? Are they polite?

London, United...
8. Re: Condor Review

My experience with Condor and the German federal police and immigration was one big joke. I was flying to Toronto from Manchester via Frankurt and apparently I got delayed for over an hour because there was an immigration lapse from their end. I was allowed to leave with 30mins left on the clock to catch my flight.

Cut long story short, I missed my connecting flight. Condor and the police played me around like a tennis ball and I ended up booking a £1,000 ticket with Finair. The whole episode was a farce, and the frustrating bit was the head of the police could not speak a word of English. The airport structure is the worse I have seen, you have to go through security to get a coffee and you literally have to pass through immigration to reach most airlines service desk (other than Lufthansa)

Their attitude was absolutely despicable . One thing I have concluded is other than their Engineering, there is nothing great about the Germans. I hope I am not breaking any house rules but I shall not be visiting this part of the world in the near future.

Vancouver Canada
9. Re: Condor Review

Holy crap! I,m flying Oslo, frankfurt,vancouver tomorrow! I didn,t know I had to go through IMMIGRATION in frankfurt?!!!!! OOOOHHHH! Please, I,m traveling with my kid and 2 cats because I,m moving back... I just hope I make it!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
10. Re: Condor Review

Please don't insult the entire German nation because of a lousy experience with the organization of immigration at FRA. Individuals are not the problem - the organization was the problem. While I agree it is nice if staff at an airport in another country speak my language, I have no reason to expect it. I'm choosing to be in their country. How many government employees including immigration officers in Canada speak German? I would doubt it would be very many - it surely is not here in the US!

I've had a couple of really lousy experiences with Canadian border crossing staff (as an Alaskan, I cross over into Canada frequently) but I don't declare that Canada is a bad place or that there is nothing great about Canadians. I may not like the awful attitude I've gotten from some employees of the Canadian government but I have no idea if those staff members are told that is the way they must perform their duties! It's not the people, it's the system and Canada can treat visitors any way they like.

Please consider your remarks.

Edited: 1:51 pm, July 09, 2013
Reply to: Condor Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted