We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Australia
reviews: 9
singapore or cathay pacific airlines

flying from Australia to Europe April 2013..looking at either Singapore or Cathay Pacific. After reading reviews on both airlines, now am concerned at there comfort level in the new seating, reviews say they are hard and don't recline. I would be interested in hearing from other travellers on these flights. Can't decided who to go with. I am looking at these two because the tour group is offering cheap fairs as part of their deal. Thanks.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
1. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

<<reviews say they are hard and don't recline. >>

What reviews? Which airline?

Cathay did have a hard shell seat which reclined within the shell (so as not to impact on the row behind) but they are reverting back to standard seats since passengers didn't like them.

To me, although I generally prefer SQ, for an economy seat there's not really a lot in it between CX and SQ. comes down to cost and whether you prefer to travel via Hong Kong or Singapore. Are you having a stopover? If so, where would you prefer to visit? So all else being equal, I'd lean towards SQ mainly because of their great IFE.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 28
2. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Cathay seats do not recline, the base moves forward so you still get a recline without getting in the face of the person behind you ... meaning you also don't get your monitor 6 inches from your face. Look closely at Cathay as you can get stuck with a lay-over in Hong Kong for around 5-6 hours. We cancelled our last Cathay flight because the lay-over was changed to 14 hours. I have never flown Singapore Airlines but they win hands down for economy travel according to ratings. http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sia.htm

Australia
3. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

thanks for your reply. I want to book tomorrow, hence my delema, also Cathay Pacific flights are being oftered at $200 cheaper than Singapore.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 28
4. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

When we cancelled Cathay it had been booked for 3 months, we then booked through BA/Qantas and the saved $450 for the two of us. Do a bit of checking.

Australia
5. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Thanks for the info...I will certainly do some checking. Do Singapore have the same non recling seats. I am concerned the affect they will have on my lower back, which I already experience trouble with. when sitting for an extended period of time on long car trips.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
6. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Singapore seats are the usual reclining seats similar to those found on most airlines.

As a fellow lower back pain sufferer, I suggest you bring a small pillow or something like a rolled up sweater to support your lower back. Also, getting up frequently during the flight and doing some lower back stretching exercises helps.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
7. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Many, but not all CX economy seats have reverted back to the standard recliners that every other airline uses. I expect that by 2013, most of the fleet will be re-fitted.

Otherwise, both are excellent airlines. I would just go with whichever one is cheaper with a schedule that makes sense for you.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
8. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

If you have back pain concerns I would go with SQ. You cant guarantee CX flight will be with the standard seats.

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…225945

London, United...
reviews: 13
9. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

If you can get on the Singapore Airlines A380s it will be the best option, as the economy class seats are wider (about an inch) and there is adequate legroom and recline. The A380s are quieter on the inside and have slightly wider cabins, so it will be more spacious. As a second best Singapore's 777-300ERs and new A330s have the same seats, but slightly less width (but as good as Cathay).

I would only choose Cathay if you can get in the new 777-300ERs, otherwise it is a bit of a gamble as to whether you get the fixed shell seats or not.

Australia
10. Re: singapore or cathay pacific airlines

Thanks LibertyscottU .. for that information..just clarifying ..the Cathay Pacific 777-300ERs have the reclining seats and not the hard shell ones. ....still haven't booked but I now know what to look for.