We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Airlines

England
reviews: 6
Thomas Cook Airlines

Please can anyone tell me anything good about Thomas Cook airlines. We have booked to fly long haul to Cuba in March with them but I am reading so many bad reports about seating, staff, entertainment, food etc., I am beginning to regret booking with Thomas Cook and wish I had gone with either First Choice or Thomson, who I usually go with. I only went with them because they were cheaper, and I know you get what you pay for but please can someone cheer me up a bit. I should have read airline reviews as well as Hotel reviews.

At least we are going in a great hotel, Sol Rio de Luna and Mares.

Thanks for any help, Marilyn

160 replies to this topic
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

I think the silence speaks volumes.

I would try to remember it s only 12 hours out of a fantastic 2 weeks you will enjoy.

Cuba is a fantastic.place. we loved it.

:-)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 131
2. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

I've used them several times, both long haul and short haul. I have even been on their B767 that doesn't have 33" legroom on a past LH flight - it may have even been to Cuba.

I would happily use them again, knowing that what I paid was less than if I had booked through Thomson.

Incidentally, I am flying LH with Thomson next week but booked them as Thomas Cook didn't have flights to Jamaica that were convenient for me.

England
3. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Thanks both of you for replying, I am looking forward to Cuba, went last year to the Blau Varadero, just have to not think about getting there. Although Sun Magic has cheered up up a bit.

Thanks

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Last 2 years we have flew with TC to Cancun on a A330 from Manchester. First year we flew premium, had no problems at all. The flight crew were friendly and came around lots, although due to a family getting extremely drunk (one stood up and nearly fell over) they stopped serving alcohol which was no big deal as only a few hours away. Food was decent, although pretty much the same on the way there as way home. Seats were fine, entrainment was pretty decent.

Last they did away with the premium (well you could book the seats on return for £50 but whats the point).

So we picked yourseatyourchoice and got seats where the plane narrows towards the tail in a 2 - 3 - 2 set up, on the left hand side of the plane. I am 6'3 , and had no problems at all with the seat, decent leg room so can't complain about the seating that we picked. The London flight crew on the way out were nowhere near as good as the year before, only chatted amongst themselves as going round with the trolley, only came around 2 times in the 10hrs (excluding food or duty free). There was one sitting at the downstairs toilets when i went down, toilet rolls and water over the floor while we waited and she had her head in a magazine and never looked up once.

Food was about the same as the year before, ok but the same going out as home. This year they have had a menu redesign by James Martin i believe, but you can't expect too much for the price we had paid.

Got to the say the Manchester flight crew on the way back we had were much better, came round more then the way out even though it was a night flight and were chatty and friendly.

Entertainment wise the 2nd year was slightly worse, less choice as there is now just a standard selection (where as year before more were available for premium/or extra cost) although still 4 or 5 films, plus 6 or so tv shows and radio. One problem i had ( and a few others) was a film on the way out stopped about 25mins from the end, most people tried to watch the 2nd time it showed and again same happned and my seat back tv did not work at all on the flight home, although i had things on my phone to keep me entertained, getting a tablet this year.

All in all not a major bad thing, we are flying with them again in Nov, like you said it is price dependent really, just for the same standard seats with Thomson our holiday would be £450 more in the same hotel at same time, and for premium nearly a £1000 so would rather spend the money we save over there.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 112
5. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

I all going well fly to Madeira with this airline a week on Monday to say the least will be glad when the flight is over. As Family -Parry says it is only a short time out of your holiday.In my case about eight hours or so worth getting to Madeira a great holiday place.What i would say about this airline comfort wise poor staff vary some very good others so so and a few awful.But since i am booked package with Cooks have to use their flight only way to get to Madeira direct from up here Going all going well in January to Madeira Thomson operate winter flights a fair bit better though not that great.

Cheltenham
reviews: 36
6. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

I've flown 3 times to Cuba with TC and again next month. We've never had any problems with the seating though we always pay for choose your seat both outward and inbound. The food's been ok and so has the entertainment. No complaints here:)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
7. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Not my choice of airline but you can't compare the aircraft used for short haul to their long haul ones, chalk and cheese. I wouldnt use Thomson short haul either. The new James Martin food gets good reviews. The seat pitch is the same as Thomsons. IFE is looped and prone to breaking down but most people are capable of entertaining themselves without it, should it happen. Lots of people choose Thomas Cook for Cuba.

England
8. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Thank you for all your advice and messages, feel a bit better about it now and as you say, not long on the plane before a fortnight of luxury. We will be flying from Manchester. Cant wait.

9. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, February 23, 2013

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
10. Re: Thomas Cook Airlines

Meaningless rant unless you give details, You wouldn't want the Shambles going out of business, because then you'd be on here complaining about price increases! That apart, anyone that wishes thousands of people out of work just loses credibility IMO.

Reply to: Thomas Cook Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted