We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Newbury
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Hi, we are looking to book flights from Heathrow to Boston over the Christmas period in the next few days and am wondering which is the best airline to fly with and also which flight times are most likely to suit kids best?

Looking at various websites it seems there is BA, Virgin, Iberia, American Airlines and Delta. Prices seem pretty much similar.

We want non stop flights and I think a seat configuration with rows of 2 would suit us best so we can split the kids up and not have anybody next to us!!!!

We are in lowly economy sadly, seat pitch is important as my hubby is 6-4, not sure if any are airlines are better than others. Cant pay for exit seats due to the kids, not sure if you can pay for bulkhead seats on any of the airlines? In flight entertainment is also essential!

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Look into the Delta Economy Comfort option. Gets you more leg room, free booze and seatback tvs

I know nothing about the rest of them, but based on years of travel if you want edible food you and your kids will like, carry it on

Worldwide
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
853 reviews
2. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Check Skytrax (www.airlinequality.com), look at airline rankings and individual reviews, and decide for yourself, based on your own criteria.

You can check seatguru for seat pitch on individual airlines and their respective aircraft - with the understanding that SeatGuru's up-to-dateness is getting increasingly criticized..

Compared to the 5-star airlines (all Asian - and BTW a couple of them cross the Atlantic) and, say, Emirates, you can't count on world class IFE on most Trans-Atlantic airlines. Best to bring your own IFE (laptop & books or the like).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Iberia don't operate LHR-BOS; those flights will be code shares operated by either BA or American. And note that BA and AA cross code share each other's flights, so make sure you are clear which airline **operates** the flights in question.

I'd tend to agree with CarolLee, look at Delta's Economy Comfort for the extra legroom seats. If they're priced similar to United (who has Economy Plus) you're looking at £70-80 extra each way, and those 3-4 extra inches are a godsend. One thing to check in advance is whether you can buy EC for only part of your group (your kids may not need it).

The other airlines have exit row and bulkhead seats that cost more, but these are usually snapped up by the elite frequent fliers, who don't have to pay extra.

Edited: 1:09 am, August 27, 2012
Newbury
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Have looked at Skytrax but according to them all the airlines are awful! I guess with some review sites people mainly post the negative. I will probably go Virgin I think, mainly as the 2-4-2 seat configuration on the A340 Airbus would suit us, will make sure we eat well at the aiport just in case!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Some are better than others. Frankly I would eliminate most, leaving just BA and Virgin to choose from, and from my experience, BA would be the winner.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
6. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

I recently flew US Airways Economy and it was better than Lufthansa, which won the 2013 award for best transatlantic airline. Believe me, I was VERY surprised indeed.

Edited: 8:46 pm, September 07, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
7. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

Actually AA doesn't fly LHR-BOS any more; they only codeshare on BA metal. Also Virgin have one plane a day in December but also codeshare on Delta's flight.

Given your requirements, if you can't afford premium economy on either the BA or Virgin flights, Delta's Economy Comfort option might be the ticket.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

#6 is a necropost.

Cathy posted her OP in August last year and has in all likelihood spent Xmas 2012 in Boston.

9. Re: Which Transatlantic airline is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 09, 2014