We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Ombudsman?

UK
reviews: 28
Travel Ombudsman?

Hi

I have a dispute with BA which is not at the moment being settled satisfactorally.

They are offering Avios which I find difficult to use, or a cabin upgrade.

What I really want is a refund which BA say they never give.

Is there such a thing as a travel ombudsman? I have begun to look into small claims but would rather fairly arbitrate.

Thank you for any suggestions.

41 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Aren't BA a member of ATOL or ABTA?

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Maybe you could tell us what the dispute is about? Settled satisfactorily can mean different things to both the customer and the airline.

I recall a passenger who felt a first class upgrade was the order of the day as he was landing at Gatwick rather than heathrow ( or something similar) . If you state what the dispute is, people can advise on what is a satisfactory outcome and what is the best way to achieve it.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
3. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Unless you have some dispute bordering on a criminal offense, you have a 99.9% chance of losing. The contract of carriage you agreed to (even if you didn't realize/read it) is heavily weighted in BAs favor. If they delivered you to your final destination, even if it was three days late by covered wagon, they met their obligation under the contract.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

britishairways.com/travel/…en_ca The Conditions of Carriage and fare rules are a contract into which one enters when one purchases a ticket from BA.

If the fare rules indicated that the ticket was non refundable, then there's little that can be done as that was the agreement made at the time of purchase. Asking for a Small Claims judgment would be of little merit if the fare rules indicated that the ticket purchased was non refundable.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
reviews: 41
5. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

go to your nearest C.A.B. Office or trading standards who will point you in the right direction, good luck

UK
reviews: 28
6. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Thanks for your advice.

I dont want a refund on my ticket and BA did get me to my destination. Those aren't the reasons for a claim.

I thought ABTA and ATOL were more of a financial protection than anything else - maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks once again.

UK
reviews: 87
7. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Yes, but I always thought they provided an arbitration function in case of disputes??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
8. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

'What I really want is a refund which BA say they never give.' 'I don't want a refund on my ticket....'

Could this be a refund of the sum paid to book a seat before OLCI opened?

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
9. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

"I dont want a refund on my ticket and BA did get me to my destination. Those aren't the reasons for a claim".

Then if you want some valid advice on here, you might care to tell us in more detail what your potential claim might be...?

UK
reviews: 7
10. Re: Travel Ombudsman?

Tev Tev 999 obviously a very experienced traveller has summed the matter up with unassailable logic.The remainder borders on peripheral relevance Sorry -

regmaiche

Reply to: Travel Ombudsman?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted