We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 20
Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

Alitalia has to be the worse airline ever, here is my horror story, I will try to make it brief. After saving for a long time we planned our trip to Italy, we took DAL with no problems from Atlanta to Miami then we were taking Alitalia from Miami to Rome then boarding on a smaller plane to Venice. We had visited their website regarding carry on size and we were completely in compliance. When they were finally ready to board we headed down the ramp to board the plane, the guy behind us had a regular size suitcase not the carry on size, but the agent at the door of the plane singled us out, he told us we could not carry our bags onto the plane, he said the overhead bins were full and our bags were too large, he told us he was in charge and could pull passengers aside as he wished, we requested that he measure our bags he said NO, he was getting mad, then we asked him to check to make sure the bins were full when we boarded all the overhead in our area was EMPTY. Anyway we were trying to explain that we packed the carry on so we would not have any problems, he was now tagging our luggage and putting it out the door, we explained to him our Euros and medication were in those bags he said "Get on the plane or I will take you off the plane", so we boarded. When we arrived in Rome we requested that they check to make sure our luggage was on board they said it was. When we arrived in Venice only one bag made it the bag with the Euros and medication did not, after standing in line for a hour the agent at the window told us it was now in route to the airport and would arrive in several hours. So we missed our event in Venice that day and waited on the last piece of carry on luggage, missing a 1/2 day in Venice is pricey, we contacted the airline and asked for a partial refund they basically told us to take a leap, they did not care and would not check into the incident, we asked them to review any video tape and talk with the out of control employee who did this to us.

Once we were on the plane the Italian guy who had the full size piece of luggage came up to talk with us he said we were singled out because we were Americans, and he then proceeded to show us overhead bins with large luggage in it, remember we measured our carry on and it met the requirements.

This incident just about ruined our long awaited trip to Venice and Tuscany, I agree with another person who posted comments online I would rather take a row boat to Italy than fly this horrible airline again. This airline should be shut down, there is not any reason for an employee of this airline to do this to a passenger.

In closing DO NOT FLY ALIITALIA THE WORSE AIRLINE OUT THERE! They do not deserve your business.

55 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

I did not see any 'horror' in your rant.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
2. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

Could you have taken the medication and Euros out of your bag before checking it?

South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

yes agree with the above.

i wouldn't have been so compliant as to let my bags containing essentials be tagged and sent to the hold. just step aside and transfer them.

as for being an american on an italian plane, it's the same for australians on american planes....united have insisted i put my carryon in the hold on occasions. must be an international tit for tat conspiracy ;-)

UK
reviews: 81
4. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

I will try to make it brief.

=====

You didn't try hard enough.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 738
5. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

See post #2.

I assume you DID get the bag back that had the medication and Euros in it?

>> This incident just about ruined our long awaited trip <<

Why?

It was unfortunate and irritating, that's all. Horror Story?????? I think not.

>> This airline should be shut down <<

Oh pul-eeeze! Because you had one minor bad experience with them?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

Alitalia ~> Aeroplane Lands In Tuscany, All Luggage In Albania

Kudos to you for checking AZ's luggage size and ensuring your bags were compliant with them; many pax do not (which is poor form).

Was the person who tagged and removed your bags a ground agent or cabin crew? If cabin crew and he truly did say the words you quote then AZ should know that he's been less than professional with pax.

If you had to purchase any goods in order to continue your journey, I hope you saved the receipts, as you should be reimbursed for those items. AZ won't reimburse you for lost time or activities booked after arrival, but if you needed personal items then the airline is required to refund your costs.

7. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, August 21, 2012

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
8. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

Would someone buy the film rights of your "horror story"? Somehow, I don't think so. You need to raise your game here.

Maybe if your flight had crashed on a mountain and you had to eat your leg to survive... that might qualify.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
9. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

The actual word that should be used is "worst", not "worse".

Now that we have that out of the way, I can't imagine many people would ever allow a bag to be checked (carry on or not) with their currency (Euros) in it. In 20 seconds you could have taken the euros out of the bag and put them in your pocket or wallet or purse.

Seriously, thinking an airline "should be shut down" over an issue like shows unrealistic thinking.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
10. Re: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!

From the header I assumed I was going to be reading about planes crashing into mountainsides and multiple deaths. (breathes sigh of relief)

How many €s were you carrying that they didn't fit in your pockets? Why couldn't you put your meds in your handbag?

I would have thought that telling all and sundry that your case contained lots of cash was't the smartest move on your part.

It was an unfortunate situation but it happens - all the time. And you seem to have made it worse by not taking sensible precautions.

Reply to: Alitalia- The worse airline ever!!!!!! Horror Story!!!!!!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted