We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 56
Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Why is it that Finnair lost our luggage at the start of our holiday ,mine for 24 days and my wifes 62 days and Finnair has not had the courtesy to relply to our request for compansation lodged about 40 days ago. They all but ruinned our holiday .

I can only recommend people stay away from Finnair.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

"Why is it that Finnair lost our luggage at the start of our holiday ,mine for 24 days and my wifes 62 days and Finnair has not had the courtesy to relply to our request for compansation lodged about 40 days ago."

From the info you provide here that's difficult to say.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Hi,

Normally bags are called "delayed' UNTIL the end of the 21st day after they were reported..

While it's in delayed mode, the carrier uses several inter-airline systems and some internal-only systems to look for it internally as well as with other airlines that may have received it accidentally.

If, after 21 days, it's still not found, THEN it's considered LOST and that commonly triggers your case moving from tracing/tracking department to the airlines claims management department,,

... and at this point, you'd commonly be asked for some documents related to the bags and your ticket; and to sign and return a paper "release" in return for the statutory required compensations payment which in most cases is governed by and based on type of travel (domestic versus international) and the recorded weight of the bag-- NOT the VALUE* of it or it;s contents.

(Unless excess valuation coverage was paid for in advance)

So.. IF it's really been 62 days-- that's waaaaay over time.. Fin should have moved well into the claims processing mode already.

I'd call either the baggage service department or claims management department and see where they are at.

Baggage matters-- most notably lost bags, is one of the few aspects of air travel that is fairly well defined under one of two international aviation agreements.. So there's a pretty solid process, timeline and compensation schedule carriers follow.

Travel Safe,

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
3. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

"I can only recommend people stay away from Finnair." - It was probable that your luggage was lost by staff (baggage handlers) employed by the airport you flew from rather than Finnair.

Canberra, Australia
4. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Yes it was the luggage handlers Swisport that lost the luggage .BUT it is Finnair's lack of reply to our claim or any of our communications with them that erks!

Swissport continously lied to us that they had found our luggage and it would arrive that afternoon or before 11 pm or early next day . they did this not just for the first 5 days but at other times during our vacation.

Ultimatelty it is Finnair who contract Swissport to handle the luggage and it is them that we paid to fly with. So IT IS their responsibility!

Canberra, Australia
5. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Hi GOPBI ,

Finnair are all but immposible to contact . we have emailed and filled in online requests and Phoned them . If you actually get to speak to someone they just fob us off with it is not their field and do'nt know whos it is !

We filled in a claim within the 21 day deadline and sent it to them by Registered mail and have had no reply from them at all. I feel that they are hopeing that we will just give up. But I will not as they have angered me by their lack of action and the ruining of a great deal of our overseas holiday.

Could you please point me in the right direction to find out about the International travel agreements.

thank you Marty

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Hi,

As to the issue of "who" was the party who handled it.. Under convention it largely does not matter if the bag was handled by; thus "lost" by a 3rd party like Swissport.. The two conventions don't allow the carriers to shift that burden-- for LOST bags-- from themselves to the assigned 3rd party who may or may not have been an appointed handler at some point in the process.

Unlike LOST baggage rules, the rules for DAMAGED baggage DOES allow more exceptions for situations that occur while outside of the carriers control, as well as damage due to others baggage, as well as parts for bags are excluded (wheels) etc., etc..

As an insight-- its not uncommon for the airlines to have some form of a performance agreement or scope clause in their service agreement with these 3rd ground handling parties-- like Swissport-- that addresses this.. but that would take place only between the airline and their 3rd party *after* the claim is paid. Then the two parties would dissect what happened and then from there decide who pays what percentage of the passenger payment relative to the terms of their service agreement.

The only real exception to this issue of lost bag payment is IF your bag was properly and legally SEIZED or otherwise by a recognized governmental agency (like airport security or customs agents) or was destroyed due to having prohibited materials inside or represented a safety or security hazard to either airport, employee, airline or operational safety.. But both these scenarios are very, very infrequent in occurrence.

"Could you please point me in the right direction to find out about the International travel agreements. "

Assuming your travel is INTERNATIONAL in nature (to include domestic sectors of an international booking) then in order to know what "convention" applies, you have to know your origin country and destination country,

**IF** BOTH the origin AND destination ARE signatories to the newer Montreal Convention, then that convention would apply.

IF either, or both the origin and destination country are NOT signatories to Montreal, then by default, the older Warsaw Convention applies.

Both conventions use a bags recorded WEIGHT (not passengers assumed value) to determine the payment amount.

The older Warsaw is much less generous and is fixed at US$20 per KILO or baggage weight-- and again, is REGARDLESS of what was inside the bag or not.. So 10kgs of dirt gets paid out at the same level as 10kgs of fine silks..

If no official record of the bags weight exists, it is assumed to be the maximum allowed under your tickets allowance without the payment of excess charges.

If the newer MONTREAL Convention applies then the payment is a bit more complex but still is WEIGHT based and NOT value based.. the payment is made in what's called SDR's (or Special Drawing Right) which is a weighted IMF-calculated non-currency that takes into account several major currencies; and then is converted into any real currency at the then-quoted exchange rates.

The maximum payment under Montreal tends to be MUCH, much higher than under Warsaw, and the Montreal convention also has language to allow for the maximum payment amount to rise in line with inflation rates over time (based on language found in the convention itself), where as Warsaw does not allow for this; and therefore has been fixed at US$20/kg since inception.

SDR:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_drawing_rights

Warsaw:

http://www.dot.gov/ost/ogc/Warsaw1929.pdf

Montreal:

http://www.dot.gov/ost/ogc/Montreal1999.pdf

Here is the most current list I can find of all the countries that have adopted and formally signed/ratified the newer Montreal Convention:

http://legacy.icao.int/icao/en/leb/mtl99.pdf

So, in order...

#1) You need to know what is/was the RECORDED weight of the bag... as that is what will be used to calculate payment-- not what was inside nor its value.

#2) You need to know if BOTH the origin AND destination countries on your trip are signatories to Montreal., If they are, then those rules and compensation schedule applies.. If one or both are NOT, then the older Montreal applies.

Once you know these issues, then I'd mail a claim letter to the carrier citing the appropriate international convention with copies of the Property Irregularity Report (PIR) which you (I assume) filed timely with the carrier when your bag didn't show up.

In most cases before they''ll pay you, you'll need to give them some paperwork, ticket proof, PIR copies, etc... and sign a Release and Discharge Agreement.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 9:05 pm, August 18, 2012
Canberra, Australia
7. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Wow ! GOPBI thank you so much so the detailed responce .

We just today had an email contact from Finnair ( because I have been asking questions here and on facebook etc since Friday)

Both countries Australia origin and France destination and signatories to the Monteal convention.

thank you once again you are a gem!

Regards marty

reviews: 10
8. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

I have just arrived in Munich and finair have lost my luggage also. I hope it doesn't take any longer than a day. There was 8 other people also looking for their luggage

Not good

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Have to agree with Gobpi and the op, does not matter who lost it, responsibility lies with the airline.

Where as I agree lost luggage wont be the airlines fault in many cases, it is their responsibility and i do think the way they subsequently handle the customer is down to them totally and it's here they have a duty of care to act promptly and correctly. 62 days is simply not acceptable.

Canberra, Australia
10. Re: Finnair lost Luggage and no relies

Mine took 24 days and my wifes from same flight over 60 days and only reason we got them back is because we kept pushing them. If it does not show write on Finnairs facebook page it's the only way to get a responce. . I would never fly with them again . hopeless unfriendly 3rd class airline .