We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airways.

inverness
reviews: 11
Monarch Airways.

I have heard that Monarch are leasing aircrafts from a lithuanian airline along with cabin crew. I have heard the interior of these planes are of a poor state and vandalised. Leg room very bad particularly at the rear. Exterior also showing signs of wear and tear.

I know these planes are doing the Alicante to Birmingham run.

I am booked to fly with Monarch Luton to Mahon on 5th October, I wonder if this is the type of aircraft that will be getting used on this route when I travel.

Any information on this will be much appreciated.

206 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
1. Re: Monarch Airways.

I think you would need to ask Monarch that. They might not even know themselves at this stage. AirExplore are Slovakian not Lithuanian, and obviously have to adhere to strict safety standards to allow them to operate in Europe.

East Mids
reviews: 1
2. Re: Monarch Airways.

They are using a plane and crew from Aurela Airlines that are Lithuanian.

The plane they use is a 737-300 that is over 24 years old and in VERY poor condition externally and internally.

There are seat backs that are broken and flop forwards at the slightest touch

Missing and broken armrests.

Graffiti carved into the window surrounds

Leg room towards the rear is diabolical ( and i don't know how they can allow it - its that tight).

The exterior has the Aurela logo down the side painted out ( instead of painting the whole plane they have just painted a strip over the Aurela writing ) It looks like a giant strip of masking tape over the front side of the plane. I hope its not covering repairs to the airframe , but i fail to see a reason why they would cover the Aurela logo.

I will be exremely reluctant to use Monarch again as there is no way of knowing what plane you will be flying on ( and they seem to be choosing the cheapest planes they can lease)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 114
3. Re: Monarch Airways.

"The plane they use is a 737-300 that is over 24 years old and in VERY poor condition externally and internally."

____

Just to correct you, the pair of 733's Aurela have an average age of 22.9 years - so not over 24 years old.

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Aurela.htm

Jet2 have a fleet of 732's with an average age of 24 years and are still flying. Age isn't that big an issue when planes are maintained to a good level.

As Leyland has stated already, for them to be able to operate within Europe they have to adhere to strict safety measures.

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Jet2.htm

London
reviews: 21
4. Re: Monarch Airways.

Actually sunmagic according to www.planesregister.com they have one plane 24.5 years old and one 20.5 years old which would make an average of around 22.9 years. Thats why average is pretty meaningless as you could have an aircraft 25 yo and a brand new aircraft which would make average 12-1/2 years.

Saying that, 2pitprops , if the planes did not comply with european standards they would not be allowed to fly into U.K.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
5. Re: Monarch Airways.

"Thats why average is pretty meaningless as you could have an aircraft 25 yo and a brand new aircraft which would make average 12-1/2 years."

____

I'm aware how any stats can be meaningless, but my point is that this airline must adhere to pretty stringent safety measures to be allowed to fly in Europe.

And I'd like to see a brand new 737-300 - that would be impressive! ;-)

London
6. Re: Monarch Airways.

It could be a brand new a380 and still make average age of their fleet 12-1/2 years.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
7. Re: Monarch Airways.

My link is to the average age of their 737-300's so I doubt very much they would have a brand new one of those somehow..

inverness
reviews: 11
8. Re: Monarch Airways.

I booked a package with Direct Holidays flying to Menorca from Luton at the beginning of October. The flight is with Monarch. I had flown with Monarch a few years ago without problem. Since booking I have heard reports on these planes they are currently leasing.

My holiday is booked and paid for, so I am just having to try not to worry and hope all is fine.

Was not given option to choose seat so have to take whats given.

London
9. Re: Monarch Airways.

You can do all sorts of things with statistics but just to agree with 2pitprops is they do indeed have a plane which is 24.5 year old in servise which sunmagic disagreed with.

Whether an old or new plane is safer is a matter of great debate but as they have to pass the U.K./European and safety measures, I would not worry.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
10. Re: Monarch Airways.

Wandering star, do point out where and what I disagreed with. My initial comment is that regardless of a planes age the operator still has to adhere to strict European standards to be able to operate.

Reply to: Monarch Airways.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted