We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

Has anyone flown China Eastern from Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing? Cheaper than Qantas but not sure if it is worth it to save a few hundred dollars.

30 replies to this topic
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
1. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

Flight is fine. Planes relatively new. Service is OK. FAs pleasant. Comfort level is about the same as QF in economy.

Take your own food!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

It would be ok for someone not too picky, but not for me.

Reviews: www.airlinequality.com/Forum/c_eastrn.htm

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
3. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

Would not recommend it at all personally. If you are on a budget then it's a good bet.

Sydney
reviews: 8
4. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

I flew with them and I just got back on the 17th July. I think they are great for the price you pay.

Food was delicious and nutritious, the cabin crew were great. If on a budget I would definitely recommend this airline to you.

They even gave me a hotel room for my 13 hr transit stop which was much appreciated.

The only thing that bugged me was the 20kg baggage restriction on my ticket.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
5. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

<<The only thing that bugged me was the 20kg baggage restriction on my ticket.>>

This is not uncommon . Malaysia Airlines has the same.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
6. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

20 is fairly standard tbh. That really is about average.

Shanghai, China
7. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

I have lived in Shanghai for 9 years I am from Australia and it is worth the extra 10 and a half hours I get to spend in Australia (Aussie movies, bundy rum, Aussie chit chat) flying to and from Shanghai. I have flown China Eastern and Air China many times but they are simply not up to par with facilities and food. IMO I flew CE to LA a 14 hour slog from Shanghai and it was bad :( bad :9 bad :(

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
8. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

I'm really the opposite to the above poster. Not so patriotic about my own country that I need to take an international flight with my country's own everything. Getting a taste of the destination country is more interesting for me. If the fare is significantly lower, go for it. Check fare comparison sites like skyscanner.net to see if there are any other cheap options.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
9. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

Can someone advise me if China Eastern Shanghai-Sydney-Shanghai economy seats have personal tvs? as i need to take my 4yo to oz for one urgent meeting and need ptv for sure to keep him occupied while he is awake.....................

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 97
10. Re: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing

No, definitely no seat back TVs, and the small drop down ones were difficult to see, and offered a very poor range of entertainment from what I could see.

Definitely advise to take something of your own. I watched movies on my iPad.

Reply to: China Eastern Airlines Sydney to Shanghai/Beijing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted