We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 1
Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

Recently we had a flight booking with WEBJET which cost $450 only to find out that subsequent to the booking, the airline ceased the service of our flight.

I contacted WEBJET and they confirmed that a refund would be made as the flight had been cancelled by the airline.

After waiting patiently I received a refund of $214.

Upon contacting WEBJET I was informed that $236 had been deducted by them as administration charges.

I then informed WEBJET that this would be the last time that I ever used their service for airline bookings.

Thought you might like to know in case you are considering WEBJET for an airline booking.

64 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

I can't believe you are going to leave it there. Surely they have made a mistake and you should be calling them back, and if they dont fix it, starting a legal claim

South Pole
reviews: 38
2. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

this can't be right (unless there is more to the story)

demand a full refund and if unsuccessful go to the NSW dept of fair trading to get it sorted out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
3. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

Webjet didn't cancel the flight, the airline did. As such, the airline should refund your fare or arrange to rebook you on other flights to your destination.

Webjet charge from $A19.95 - $A29.95 as a 'processing fee' which is reason enough not to book with the company. http://www.webjet.com.au/about/booking-terms/

Speak to your credit card provider about a dispute on the charge as you did not receive the goods for which you paid.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
4. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

I second lien's comments/suggestions. Perhaps you should advise them that you'll be contacting Fair Trading and mention that wonderful Act, The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cwlth). I'd be complaining in writing, not just over the phone. I'd also be lodging a complaint with my credit card company.

Lake Macquarie...
5. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

Unfortunately it was WEBJET USA and not WEBJET AUS, so NSW Fair Trading are not interested.

South Pole
6. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

so there was more to the story! ;-)

guess the cc route is the only one to go down now.

but lesson learnt, i guess.

always book with the airline, not thru a 3rd party

Edited: 6:57 pm, June 30, 2012
Lake Macquarie...
7. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

This is the long winded answer by Webjet as to the reason for the $236 deduction even though the flight was cancelled by the airline and not me..

"We at Webjet.com provide our customers with access to millions and millions of real time air fare combinations and our technology helps you to sift through the jungle of domestic and international airfares to find you the best deals that fit your needs. When you made the reservation on our site we incurred costs related to that reservation for building and maintaining your reservation and ticket data in airline systems and performing quality control check procedures to protect your credit card security."

South Pole
8. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

u can always wade thru this

http://www.webjet.com/webjet/booking-terms/

they do charge cancellation fees when the customer cancels.

nothing there (that i can find) that covers an airline cancellation.

but even if they did u would think that a 50% administration fee is a little OTT.

then again it might have been a per ticket fee.

they say their t&c's comply with the laws of florida.

if u have time on your hands, u might want to look at this also.

http://myfloridalegal.com/consumer

whether a foreigner has access to this line of dispute i dont know.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
9. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

They're trying it on in a way that can only be described as monumental.

I very much doubt that Webjet has a collection of minions to pore over page after page of what they term 'the jungle of domestic and international airfares' but instead press a few keys on a computer as the rest of us do. Neither will they have large men with no necks physically transferring your credit card details (held in sealed envelopes marked Eyes Only) from their office to a secure data collection point, but instead very likely rely on Verified by Visa or something similar.

So for them to claim $A236 for what was probably four minutes of work translates to an hourly rate that is diabolical.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Canberra Australia
10. Re: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund

If it costs webjet $236.00 admin costs ,why do they only charge a processing fee of $19.95.??? I think they will go broke quickly..

Reply to: Have you been a victim of a WEBJET refund
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted