We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopian airlines

Seattle, Washington
Ethiopian airlines

It seems every time I'm trying to book a flight out of ZNZ EA shows up.

I have read some of the reviews on Skytrax, and is not that impressive.

I am would be flying 4 flights out of 6 with them in order to fly from ZNZ to US.

I am wondering if there are any recent flyers that care to comment about this airline.

I read that the crew are not friendly, they use old airplanes and they are not kept very clean

16 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
1. Re: Ethiopian airlines

We flew 2 international flights and 5 domestic with ET last year. The planes were new and clean they were on time and staff was pleasant.

I would have no hesitation in flying with them again. Not only that on our tour in TZ we met an Italian couple who fly frequently to Africa and they also gave them a rave review.

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Ethiopian airlines

Really I a m very surprised because as I said when I checked the ratings on Skytrax were not too positive.

I need to make a decision to fly with them go on a longer route but being able to see a couple of new countries even for a short layover.

Or going in a shorter flight with an airline with a good track record KLM, but not too excited flying on one of the segment on Delta, yikes

It's to hear that you had a good experience thank you so much

3. Re: Ethiopian airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 25, 2013

NomadicForever
reviews: 15
4. Re: Ethiopian airlines

Flew Kigali via Addis to Bangkok. First leg was an older aircraft, decent CA, cant remember food as I tend not to eat. 2nd leg was a new aircraft, seating rather cramped. No delays on both legs in fact we arrived in Bkk 10 mins early. Opt for a premium class if offered on your route.

Overall better than expected but not a 5* airline. There are worse

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Ethiopian airlines

Thank you this confirms the rating that I read online. Fortunately, I only have a short 2.5 flight since I decided to fly with Lufthansa but need to change plane in Addis on Ethiopian airlines to Kenya.

It has nothing to do with being a poor country. There are many developing countries that have better service. Air India I know lots of wealth and lots of poverty.

I was not looking for a 5* airline but not a -2*. If I had the choice I'd flown Emirates.... but they offered a flight with a very long layover

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
6. Re: Ethiopian airlines

I was also thinking of using Ethiopian for a trip to South africa and Namibia that I'm planning but think i'll now go with Emirates.

Seattle, Washington
7. Re: Ethiopian airlines

oh hands down don't hesitate for a minute they are terrific they know how to pamper you if that matters to you, but be aware a bit more pricey but hey why not

Ireland
reviews: 73
8. Re: Ethiopian airlines

I would echo the more negative comments above.. I flew LHR Addis in economy and experienced the same friendly, well meaning but slightly incompetent service. The meal was passable but breakfast comprised a piece of fruitcake! A Duty Free trolley was wheeled by, but no price list was available ("what do you want?" was the answer when one was asked for.)

It was the same elderly aircraft as described above. Biggest problem was the appalling seat pitch; more Ryanair than long haul. After some lobbying and positioning during boarding, I managed to get an exit row seat (In the centre) and that was the difference between a reasonably comfortable 8 hours and torture.

On the way back, I tried to book an exit row seat in advance but nothing doing. However the office at the Hilton said I could get a "last minute upgrade" at the airport for $300. This was too tempting to resist - I could not have faced the trip in a "regular" seat. In the event the upgrade cost $450 but I consider it money well spent.

Next time I think I'll explore other options, even if it means layovers and longer travel time.

Edited: 8:05 am, August 20, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
9. Re: Ethiopian airlines

Definitely do not fly Ethiopian. I am currently stranded at a hotel with 60-90 other passengers because we were all bumped from our flight yesterday. Apparently, their policy if they have a delay or cancellation is to give priority to the customers impacted, creating an on going domino effect for days and days. Worst of all, they did not explain what we going on to us at the airport, just put us on buses to a hotel after denying us check in. Hopefully we'll get out today, but I'd really recommend you chose another carrier!

UK
reviews: 20
10. Re: Ethiopian airlines

We flew with them in MARCH 2013 London-Addis-Kilimanjaro-Zanzibar and we were very suprised how good it was, we were very anxious as the airline does not have a good reputation but we were very happy with the service. The cabin crew was great and smiled all the time. The food tasty and good presentation. All aircrafts had fantastic leg room and all very clean. Crew makes sure toilets are kept clean throughout the whole flight. The only thing which was not good was the entertainment system. Depending on the sector we got to experience different types of aircrafts (some better, some worse), The airline is worth trying and we will fly with them again.

Reply to: Ethiopian airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted