We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Epipen at the airport

Albany, New York
reviews: 84
Epipen at the airport

Hello,

I am allergic to bees and will get an Epipen. I will have to have it with me at all times and also in my handluggage when I travel.

Does an Epipen qualify for the medical lane and do I need medical papers for it?

Thanks, Undine

46 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 38
1. Re: Epipen at the airport

I carry two epipens in my carry on. I attach the doctors covering letters to both which explains why I need to carry them and put them in the tray for examination in security checks. Only twice has anyone asked about them...I once had to stop an official trying to unscrew the safety cap though........he would have stabbed himelf in the thumb..

I dont know what you mean by a medical lane but yes you need a covering letter from your doctor.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Epipen at the airport

I don't know what medical lane you are talking about. Use of an epipen is considered a "Hidden Disability"

tsa.gov/travelers/…4

and click down to medicines.

( google is your friend)

Albany, New York
3. Re: Epipen at the airport

Have you never seen the "medical lanes" at airports? Some airports have an extra lane for security, if you have some medical issues.

Last year I had a bad, bad cold, borderline pneumonia and had to have my coughing syrup with me in my hand luggage and I was told to stand in the medical lane.

Thanks for the link as well.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
4. Re: Epipen at the airport

Nope never heard of a medical lane sorry.

Good luck with the epipens.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: Epipen at the airport

Agree with Bronia, have never seen a medical lane at any airport I've ever been to.

But I don't think you get bees on board, do you?

Edited: 11:58 am, June 11, 2012
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
6. Re: Epipen at the airport

My daughter has an Epipen - I either put it in my bag with the liquids or leave it in my carry-on. I have never had a problem. I also don't have a cover letter from a doctor - the thing is labelled with all the prescribing information and thats good enough apparently.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
7. Re: Epipen at the airport

I think you do need a cover letter from a doctor - at least we do in the UK?

Also carry copies of prescriptions.

Edited: 12:07 pm, June 11, 2012
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
8. Re: Epipen at the airport

Hmmmmm - I go to the UK frequently, and have never taken anything like that.

I'm not sure what the point would be? - if some lowly security guy questioned it and there was a problem - I would keep going up the line until I was allowed to take it through. Its clearly medical paraphernalia, only contains about 3 mls of fluid and if my kid ate a cashew nut at 37,000 ft - I would need it. Its a battle I'm quite happy to fight and I don't see the need to carry sheaves of paper around with me to prove what it is.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
9. Re: Epipen at the airport

I dont carry sheaves of paper - just a letter which I wrap round the epipens.

This has been discussed before on this forum. Check the search box.

I've needed to carry a letter since 9/11

And I didn't row with the security guys who questioned me - I explained what they were and showed them the letter which was fine. You dont argue with these guys.

Always a good idea to carry copies of prescriptions should you need to renew the epipen whilst abroad.

I wouldnt dream of travelling without mine, but I do understand that you need some form of documentation if security asks for it.

Also check with your airline - they have a policy on this.

Edited: 1:02 pm, June 11, 2012
Albany, New York
10. Re: Epipen at the airport

@ Tilly41,

of course you don't expect a bee onboard but I don't want to run the risk of having the pen in my luggage and the luggage gets delayed/ lost etc. and then I am stuck without it for possibly days.

You are always told to keep your medicine with you.

I am surprised nobody has ever seen a medical lane. I have seen it several times at big airports.

Reply to: Epipen at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted