We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you take food on a plane?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Can you take food on a plane?

have never flown before and I fly for the first time tomorrow night, we fly at 8:10 PM.

We have got to be a the airport at about 4:45PM, we're having tea at 6:00 PM at the airport, I was wondering could I buy a sandwich from Greggs at the airport, to take on the plane? The Greggs is in the departure lounge.

Also what can i expect from my first time flying? Im scared

DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Yes, you can take food onto the plane, but please be considerate of your neighbors and avoid messy or smelly foods (which seems to be your plan).

Without more information as to your flight, all I can say is to expect a seat and that they'll get you there.

Burton upon Trent...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Yes you can take food on the plane - we always buy the Meal Deal from Boots in departures.

uk
reviews: 73
3. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Yes, usually more than acceptable to take your own sandwiches on a plane.

Curtesy towards other passengers would suggest avoiding overly smelly food though.

Your experience flying will depend on airline and or class of travel but generally flying isn't that different to taking a train.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
4. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Dependant on your airline and destination - you may not need to buy food.

So where are you going and on which carrier? Also how long is your flight?

First time flying - hmmm. Once through security you go to your departure gate when it is announced (its not really announced you generally have to watch the boards) Then you wait there until they call your row/seat number which is on your boarding pass. On some airlines its rush and grab - that is not a fun time.

In your seat you buckle your seat belt and wait. There will be a safety demonstration to which you should pay careful attention as a first-time flyer. (you should also pay close attention if its your 1000th flight but many people do not:) The plane gets pushed back slowly from the gate and then it trundles for a while until it gets to take-off point. Then it goes very fast and lifts-off. Don't be surprised if the plane squeaks and creeks and grumbles - some of them do that. Also don't be surprised if there is a bit of bouncing....then the plane keeps climbing and turning until its headed in the right direction and at the right height and then you can probably take your seatbelt off and relax. A window is nice to see where you're going and there may also be a map if you're lucky enough to have setback TV.

Have fun :)

Stoke-on-Trent...
5. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

I'm going to Manchester Airport and flying with a company called Nouvelair, they're owned Thomas Cook.

Thank you so much AfricanDaisy... I was more scared about the noises the plane makes and the bouncing, but if it happens to a lot of planes, then that puts my mind at ease a lot!

Calgary, Canada
6. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Manchester Airport is a nice airport - I like it very much.

Never heard of Nouvelair?

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

:) I've been told it's lovely..

I have never heard of them, we booked through the co-op with Thomas cook and only found out when we got our tickets, that we were flying with Nouvelair..

I tried to get some reviews for them, but they're all bad, which makes my fear of flyng only worse. x

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

Have you read this?

nouvelair.com/en/content/inflight-servicerel…

Their website seems pretty good - but its unfortunate that you did not know upfront which airline you were using !

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

I've looked at their website and it all just seems to good to be true, compared to some reviews i've read, but I can't base everything on reviews :) Thanks.

uk
reviews: 73
10. Re: Can you take food on a plane?

I think your big advantage is that you have little to compare it to.

Many people post negative reviews because they expect charter airlines to continue to provide the service they did many years ago, which they no longer do but do clearly advertise the difference, many just don't realise ths.