We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

wirral
reviews: 74
Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

Maximum weight 5kgs.My wife was picked up last week on 2 kgs excess on check-in for return flight from Kefalonia.No excuses.We just assumed (and it is foolish to assume) that a small carry-on caseful that had got through easyJet,Jet2 and Monarch in the last 6 months would not be a problem.It was.

The member of groundcrew who weighed all hand luggage said the problem is that these small roller cases weigh 3kgs empty so there isn't much left for the contents.5kgs is much less than the limit on no-frills carriers so I urge future Thomson customers to pre-check the weight of hand luggage to prevent embarassment and subsequent re-packing.

59 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

Sage advice,irrelevant of who you fly with,,,,always best to check, ,it's surprising how many people don't, get it wrong and the complain....nice to see a balanced and sensible post.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

I think the reason the give such little hand luggage allowance is due to on most charter holiday airlines you have a checked luggage allowance included in your holiday, meaning in theory, you shouldnt need much more than a small bag with essentials for the flight on board with you.

Where as for the no frill carriers you don't have any inclusive checked luggage so they allow a more generous carry on allowance.

5kg isn't much and although it is clearly stated I think quite a few people will be caught out. Especially ones travelling flight only on charter who don't have hold allowance included.

:-)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

Thomsons hand luggage limit is 5kg and always has been (apart from premium upgrades which is 7kg). When someone's is over it is only right that this is pointed out, as 2kg is a big % when 5kg is the limit.

Easyjet have unlimited hand luggage, Jet2 is 10kg and Monarch ZB is 10kg. Monarch MON is 5kg as is Thomas Cook.

I had my hand luggage weighed at Gatwick with Thomsons the last time I flew with them, and with Monarch from Manchester a couple of months ago. I stopped taking a case a few years ago, in favour of a holdall, which weighs far less when empty. I think mine weighs about 0.5kg.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

5 kg has been the standard for most charter flights for the past 30+ years.

uk
5. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

Just another reason to avoid the charter airlines IMO.

I generally try to avoid checking luggage if I can, just from an efficiency perspective.

I guess my type of travel doesn't fit their business model.

wirral
6. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

Thanks for the spot-on responses.Family-Parry has summed it up correctly imo.Our problem arose because we had not taken a package holiday for many years until this one and were unaccustomed to the limitations (no excuse for not checking the terms and conditions).We did get 20 kgs each hold allowance included in the package cost which supports F-P's opinion.

I think we will be back to DIY holidays in any event so this was just a lesson learned by us which I thought deserved a mention.

MERSEYSIDE
reviews: 53
7. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

What you mean you're not blaming Thomson. Shock horror!

Don't think I have ever read a post before that wasn't the airline's fault. Am speechless!!!

Happy travelling

Glasgow, Scotland
reviews: 6
8. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

On my thomson holidays, I take a ruck sack, with electical equipment, and guessing it weighs more than 5ks, and I have never been stopped or questioned, unlike ryanair, who make you put everything in your hand luggage

So cables, chargers, 2 cameras, sandals, money, tickets, sweets and sandwiches; Juice I usualy put in the side of my bag

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

"Don't think I have ever read a post before that wasn't the airline's fault."

Of course it's the airline's fault!

How dare Thomsons set a limit, tell you what it is in advance, and then enforce it? What is the world of aviation coming to??

Wales
reviews: 14
10. Re: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit

I was over my 5kg hand luggage weight limit on a Monarch flight recently so the check-in agent at LGW suggested I took some stuff out and put it in my checked bag. That made the checked bag about 2kg over its limit - but that was overlooked, and no charge was made.

I didn't understand the logic - but didn't argue!

Reply to: Thomson Airways-take note of the hand luggage weight limit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted