We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fraud

BC
Fraud

I wanted to share my negative experience with the Air Tickets Direct.

I have found on this site a cheap ticket (with regular price of it being approximately $ 1,700, it showed a total price of $ 1,500 as a deal). But when I paid, I received a confirmation that the ticket has cost me $ 1,800. The ticket price includes a Luxury insurance, which is worth nearly $ 300. At the same time the ticket was marked as non-refundable. It's not the first time I buy tickets online, but this is the first time I ran into something like this . Be careful.

103 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Fraud

With a location as BC your start point may be YVR, but to what destination did you book? Was the 'luxury tax' charged by the airline or by Air Tickets Direct?

What class of service did you book? Deeply discounted tickets, whether Economy, Business or First, are usually non refundable, but that's one of the airline's rules, nothing to do with a third party online consolidator.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
2. Re: Fraud

I looked at the website and I would be suspicious. It says air tickets direct has wholesale contracts with over 50 airlines. I don't even know what that means. Do airlines establish wholesale contracts with internet travel booking agencies?

The terms and conditions state that the price listed may not include taxes and other fees. It does say the extra charges will be displayed during the booking process. So, either they have the extra charges well hidden or you just overlooked that screen.

Hopefully you paid by credit card and you can dispute the additional charge with your credit card company. If you believe you have a reservation I suggest you check with the airline to verify. That would be awful to show up for your flight only to find out the ticket was never booked and you've lost the entire $1800.

BC
3. Re: Fraud

This is a ticket from Vancouver to Kiev. Who will be charged the insurance, I don't know. This occurs after the payment.

Tickets are not discounted. This economy class. Regular price of the ticket is $1750-$1850 . Insurance is displayed after the payment. Consent to the payment is not required.

BC
4. Re: Fraud

Thank you, I just canceled the payment

australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: Fraud

Yes the hidden tick for insurance that is hard to see when booking. Downunder there is a 14 day cooling off period for insurance they have to refund it if you don't want it.

We are lucky

>>>>>I looked at the website and I would be suspicious. It says air tickets direct has wholesale contracts with over 50 airlines.<<<o <<<

yes airlines do sell to wholesalers at cheaper prices. You will find the wholesalers probably do not receive the commission on sales that travel agents get when they sell air tickets. Trade off

london
reviews: 1
6. Re: Fraud

i am having the same problem, their ticketing agent told me they would not issue me with a ticket because i was booking it for someone else on my card, we had to book another flight which was more money, now airtickets direct refuse to give us back our money for something that is their fault, thia amounts to over one thousand dollars

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: Fraud

If you booked a ticket for Mr Sid Vicious with a credit card in your name, Mr Dave Vanian, at the airline's website the process would have been simple as one of the questions asked at websites is 'is the person paying for the trip the person travelling?' If the answer is no then the booking reflects that information.

If you booked a ticket as above and received a confirmation from the airline then the ticket should have been a valid one. Contact your credit card provider to dispute the charge with airticketsdirect.

london
8. Re: Fraud

i have ben in contact with my credit card company here where i live in england. i have also been in constant contact with airtickets direct and the airline. air tickets direct say that the airline will not refund my money. i feel it is not down to the airline to refund but air tickets direct as the people they employ to issue the tickets, A company called Transam Travel told me over the phone they would not be issuing the ticket. despite numerous e mails and phone calls to them, they sent me a final letter yesterday saying there is nothing they can do as the airline will not refund my money, i didnt give my payment to american airlines i gave it to airtickets direct. i have sent all e mails i had to my credit card company whom i had hoped would get my money back but since air tickets direct are refusing to even admit their ticketing agent was in the wrong i now have to pay for a ticket i never got. i am though in the process of reporting this company to whatever companies they say they are affiliated to.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
9. Re: Fraud

And to think that all of this could have been avoided if you had booked directly with the airline.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
10. Re: Fraud

You say Air Tickets Direct's ticketing agent was in the wrong, but you don't say how.

If the airline will not refund Air Tickets Direct how would they be able to refund you?

Reply to: Fraud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted