We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edreams

FL
reviews: 1
edreams

I too found air fares at 1/2 the going rate on edreams and came to this forum to see who they were.

One thing everyone seems upset about - I need to comment on

The request for a copy of the front and back of your CC and a photo ID. As a travel agent who deals with air consolidators frequently, this is NOT an off the wall request. All consolidators i deal with require this from my clients, as a fraud preventative. There is a tremendous amount of fraud from the consumer side with air tickets, and the agencies end up holding the bag - so I don't have a problem with that request at all.

However, I do care about the tickets being legit, and there does seem to be inconsistancy there. Darn, I was all excited about saving $500+ on my tickets.

UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: edreams

The request for a copy of the front and back of your CC and a photo ID. As a travel agent who deals with air consolidators frequently, this is NOT an off the wall request. All consolidators i deal with require this from my clients, as a fraud preventative.

============

Do you have dodgy clients? I'm not sure specifically what marks out a consolidator from some other type of ticket selling company, or why consolidators have more fraud than say, airlines, but ZERO of the organisations I buy tickets from have this requirement.

Whilst I agree that eDreams dont do this in order to rip you off I do believe its an ID fraud disaster waiting to happen, one day someone IS going to access their systems and hundreds of thousands of client records, not just mag stripe data but passport pictures, signatures, cvv numbers, will be out on the net.

That's why I'd never use any company that asked for that data.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: edreams

"The request for a copy of the front and back of your CC and a photo ID. As a travel agent who deals with air consolidators frequently, this is NOT an off the wall request. All consolidators i deal with require this from my clients, as a fraud preventative. "

Personally I would not deal with any company that required this information as I consider it exposes me to a high risk of identity theft.

I hope as a travel agent you advise clients of the pros and cons of booking direct with the airline and via any 3rd party site.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: edreams

If eDreams had an otherwise stellar reputation I would not hesitate to defend the request for ID as a added security measure. Unfortunately they don't which leads me to think it's as much a tactic of delaying tickets being issued or conning people out of their money.

FL
reviews: 1
4. Re: edreams

No I don't have "dodgy"clients. Air consolidators only sell to the travel agent community, so we are 3rd party buyers, so to speak. It is really no different from a store clerk asking to see your CC and ID and checking your signature. They also want to make sure the client is aware we are buying a ticket on their behalf. It is called a CC authorization form with the amount of purchase written in - there is no mag stripe data, as these transactions are online or phone based. The airlines and online sellers of anything are just as at risk of client records being hacked, as we have seen with the banks, so no special risk there.

Regarding the email people get about the CC not being authorized, many CC companies will not automatically approve a charge from a foreign company, unless you have told them you will be traveling or making such a purchase.

Also a service fee is not uncommon, as they are probably not paid commission from the airlines, BUT I do agree that the service charge amount should be posted at the begining of the transaction.(it does say the amount does not include a service charge, but doesn't mention how much it is)

All that being said. if edreams doesn't consistantly deliver the etickets for the flights that were charged to the CC,THAT is the reason I would not use them.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: edreams

I think there is a big difference. I always book with the airline and I have never ever been asked to provide images of my passport like this. At work, I use an agency who books for me, and they have never asked for photocopies of my passport either.

Re the credit card, yes the charge is the charge, but the issue is, people often don't understand what that will be. Often they ask for the credit card, then tell them the price is higher.

I am unsure of the reason for your thread. You appear to work in the travel industry and appear to be trying to defend edream practices. Why are you buying from edreams if you are a third party buyer also?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
6. Re: edreams

"It is really no different from a store clerk asking to see your CC and ID and checking your signature. "

In my opinion there is a big difference between the checks made in store to verify a CC purchase and supplying the sort of information required by edreams.

A store purchase does not retain any personal information - I have no idea of how secure or not the data requested by edreams is held therefore there is a massive difference.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 89
7. Re: edreams

I have travelled the world for forty years and have never been asked for a copy of my passport by a travel agent or airline.

I agree with joe, why would you want to give someone your passport details, credit cards details, name, address, DOB. Giving that sort of info to a stranger is a disaster waiting to happen.

London, United...
reviews: 23
8. Re: edreams

Adt2008...possibly it's best if you confirm who you work for. It's always best to be open about this, as you are stating you are one third party booker wishing to publicly discuss another 3rd party booker, a competitior, and why they should or should not be used.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
9. Re: edreams

I prefer to book directly with the airline mainly because if there's a cancellation or some other problem you can usually get it dealt with without much problem, whereas when you deal with a 3rd party you usually get the run around for days talking to various people on call centres but I have to say that I have booked a few times with edreams and have never had to send copies of my cc and id, I haven't booked with them recently so maybe this is a new thing but I didn't have any problems with them.

The thing that confuses me is that any time I've checked flights with edreams the prices after the tax and commission has been added on are generally around the airlines own price so I'm a bit surprised that you're saving $500

UK
reviews: 87
10. Re: edreams

Its not new Chrella, don't know what triggers it but the first time I ever heard of them was about 4-5 years ago when a relative contacted me because he was trying to book with eDreams and they were asking for that. And there are many old messages in here regarding this in fact it was the main and original complaint about eDeams

I think its only more recently its become about problems with credit cards being rejected and bank transfers.