We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

Mahwah, New Jersey
reviews: 129
Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

I am getting myself angrier and angrier and I am avoiding airline travel like the plague these days when I used to be a frequent flyer.

Pet peeves:

- extra baggage fees

- extra weight fees

- admin fees

- carry on luggage fees

- unusual bag fees

- etc

United really ticked me off by telling me that the $70 extra bag fee cannot be waived for frequent flyers on international flights, only domestic. Well guess where we are likely to have more luggage? And guess which flights are more expensive to begin with? And guess how I got to be a frequent flyer? And guess why I won't be flying with them much any more?

Not to mention that the seats are smaller, they are now barring people from standing up on the plane while underway (then how about pressurizing the cabin properly so my feet don't swell?), and they charge $7 for a glass of wine as the bottles get thicker so the contents get smaller. Hasn't anyone heard about customer value perceptions and loyalty support? I am really hating this airline travel thing. Do you suppose that's why cruise ships are so popular?

Anyway, at least they had good movies for free. That shocked me. Of course it was on an overnight flight when I wanted to sleep. Great value proposition.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

Not really. I'd rather not pay for services I don't use or need.

Edited: 9:33 am, May 29, 2012
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
2. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

It is all a game about making a flight look cheap on a booking site, then hitting you with fees and add-on charges to make a profit. It is no different than the "as seen on TV" products that say "Order now and get a 2nd one free, just pay postage and handling*"

*Postage and handling cost $9.95 for a $3 product.

How about cars? Why do I pay the same $600 "destination fee" on my new car that was built 60 miles from my house as the person in California that has to have it hauled 2000 miles.

Not sure cruise ships are any better (I don't cruise). They don't let you bring your own alcohol, so you must pay their expensive charges. They make singles pay more than couples because they know they make their money on the extras, not the cabin fare alone.

Every market has their pricing gimmicks. Not worth getting angry about.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

If they are upfront about the fees I've got no problem with them. It's fair enough that the people taking advantage of extra services pay for them. If you want to be pampered you have the option of flying first class.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 33
4. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

The airlines are moving towards the FedEx model. You and your luggage will be weighed and measured for cubic volume. You and your bags will be strapped to a pallet, dropped on a conveyor and loaded into the hull of the plane. The price of your flight will depend on your weight and volume and the only extra offered will be a padded vs a non padded pallet.

I agree with LeicsLad, if you don't use it don't include it in the overall ticket price. Ala carte is the way to go, you pay for what you use.

Edited: 9:48 am, May 29, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
5. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

"they are now barring people from standing up on the plane while underway"

Huh?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
6. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

While no one likes fees it is something that is part of today's world. You really have a few choices

a. don't fly

b. add up the fees BEFORE comparing ticket prices and just consider the bottom line the cost of the ticket.

re: fees on carry on baggage. Personally, anything that will make people carry appropriate carry ons gets my vote. I am tired of carrying a small bag and finding that people are shoving luggage larger than my checked bag in the storage spaces. I end up with my one small bag under my feet because others are inconsiderate and think the rules are made for others,

uk
reviews: 73
7. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

I think being barred from standing up is a security issue rather than something the airline have introduced for the fun of it.

As others have said, I'd rather not pay for services that I don't use.

You have to consider the cost of the ticket as the cost with all the extras you want added, not just the headline fare.

kentucky
reviews: 37
8. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

try driving to Europe from Mahwah--or Africa, or Asia. Or filling your tank at $4/gallon x number of times and driving to California or Mexico or Buenos Aires.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
9. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't carry more luggage on international flights than on domestic flights. I work on five days' worth of outer clothes/underthings/socks, one good outfit and shoes, nightie and a jacket or sweater- if it's really cold I wear my coat. Laundry every four days, good to go.

Edited: 10:48 am, May 29, 2012
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
10. Re: Is anybody else getting angry about extra airline fees?

The fees don't really bother me because I don't pay most of them!

I can travel internationally for about 10 days with one small(20") carryon suitcase + a large squishy tote bag under my seat.

I like the fact that they didn't add the luggage fee onto MY ticket price!