We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wrong name order on flight ticket

Leeds, United...
wrong name order on flight ticket

I have booked a ticket with Air New Zealand to USA through 9flight (a website agency). By mistake, I put my first name as my surname and vice versa.

In the ticket it appears as Miss Cao Ngan... And in my passport it's CAO DUONG NGAN (no separation). Would it be any problems?

The airline ask me to check with the agency, and they ask me to pay extra 287£ for the cancellation + new ticket :(

14 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Order of names often get mixed up, even when correct within the airlines systems it's often printed the wrong way round on the boarding pass just because thats what they do, so I think the odds are very good you'd be ok.

For example, say my name is joe smith, I'll often see something like smith/joe mr on my boarding pass. If you had letters jumbled up or missing in your names I'd advise you to change but as it is, and obviously no guarantees here, I wouldn't spend that amount of money.

Also, you say "on my ticket" but do you mean the printed itinerary? You dont actually have a real paper ticket do you? It's all etickets these days as far as i know. When you go into air new Zealand's website and have to put booking reference in and surname, do you have to put your first name in instead to get it to work?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Technically the name on the ticket must match that on the passport and in this case it doesn't although the names are correct but in the wrong order.

Whether you will be denied boarding because of this could be down to the staff on duty of the day of the flight - you could take a chance and hope everything goes ok but if not you'll have lost the money spent on the flight.

The safe option is to get it changed, paying the relevant fees, and learn the lesson for the future - if you had booked direct with the airline there was the possibility they would have made this change free of charge.

One of the reasons I personally avoid 3rd party sites - at least you were honest enough to admit it was your mistake and didn't rant about it.

Helensvale...
reviews: 6
3. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Hi there,

I have this issue, I have just noticed my wife's name is wrong way around on itinerary, may have been my mistake not sure?

Anyway Scoot Airlines now want to charge me $713 to put it the correct way, question is, do I take a gamble that all will be fine, or do I bite the bullet and pay?

UK
4. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Overwhelming advice on previous posts with this issue is that this should not be an issue, and I don't ever recall reading someone saying they were denied boarding because of names wrong way round, as I said in my post months back, it's common even when you enter it the right way for the order to be jumbled anyway.

Unfortunately the OP never returned to post what happened, you could try sending them a message to ask, though even then that's just their experience, and is no guarantee what yours will be.

I would chance it, but only you can make the decision.

Helensvale...
reviews: 6
5. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Just to give everyone an update on this, and thanks for teh advice prior.

It didn't even warrant a second look, no one even bothered to say a word, so glad I never paid the money now.

UK
6. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Thanks for the update dav.

mediterranean
reviews: 27
7. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

I once bought a ticket online directly from an airline's website. The next day I was going over the confirmation/itinerary email and noticed I misspelled my own name (instead of Eff I wrote Fef) so I called the airline, gave them the right spelling and they sent me a new confirmation/itinerary email with the correct name. It was a 5 minute phone call and they never asked me to pay for the change!

It sounds very strange to me that an airline will charge for such a small thing (well maybe those economy airlines that charge for everything will charge a small fee - but the amounts mentioned here are crazy).

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
8. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

Hi,

"It sounds very strange to me that an airline will charge for such a small thing (well maybe those economy airlines that charge for everything will charge a small fee - but the amounts mentioned here are crazy)."

==> The amounts are really more to do with a combination of a fixed-price penalty plus a fare differential or something like that.

Some carriers make it just a flat-fee issue.. Others say you essentially have to cancel (and for most tickets incur a fee to do so), THEN re-book (which can now be at higher fares)..

The issue is rooted in part in the idea that they want to make sure you (as the first buyer) aren't buying the ticket (thus locking in that fare) either in one name, or in bulk, under different common names, THEN turning around and trying to re-selling it to someone else (who is not you) who has a reasonably close name, at a price above what you originally paid, but for less than the then-current airline rate is.. thereby cutting out the carrier from recouping the current fare on that ticket.

In some areas-- like ethnic neighborhoods, it can be relatively easy to find people, wholly unrelated to one another, but who have either the exact same name or one that is very close to it that might "pass" for it.

Essentially they are wanting to make sure it remains a non-transferable contract, and not a bearer instrument.

If you ever had the change to get a sneak peak inside a carrier ticket fraud or fraud department, you'd be surprised at how many different ways that this issue (fraud of all sorts) is attempted.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 2:42 am, January 20, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

It might do, but on the same time it is quite difficult to change it either, if you have sufficient time, pleease request the airline to cancel and re-issue it

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 24
10. Re: wrong name order on flight ticket

I booked a ticket for my mom and put the last name as first and the first name as last (wrong order). The airlines was Cathay Pacific and I called their online service center in Hong Kong and she changed it no question asked, and sent me the ticket with the new name! Efficient service!

Reply to: wrong name order on flight ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted