We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 18
Spirit Airlines

Has anyone used this airline to travel to Myrtle Beach? I just wanted to get some opinions. I live in Pittsburgh. We used to have Myrtle beach direct air which I liked. The prices were reasonable. Spirit flies out of Latrobe airport which is an hour from where I live. Their prices are low. I was just seeing if anyone has used this airline. Thanks.

68 replies to this topic
DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Spirit Airlines

Do a search and you'll find plenty.

Newcastle, England...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Spirit Airlines

Flew with them last month. No issues at all, the flight was on time and decent, if anything the crew on board were alot more relaxed and lighthearted than most airlines i have flown with.

Just remember, you have to pay for your drinks and any food on board. And be carefull of carry on luggage sizes (although they weren't strict on enforcing them on our flight).

Anyone who thinks this airline is bad when it comes to customer service haven't experienced some of the Low cost European carriers and their methods!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
3. Re: Spirit Airlines

I'd say there's nothing wrong with the attitudes of LCC's in Europe. To me, they are more likely to enforce policies such as if you're late to checkin then you don't get to board and hold everyone else up, or if your luggage is oversized/overweight you pay the excess charges.

UK
reviews: 88
4. Re: Spirit Airlines

Didn't Spirit just start charging even for carry on bags?

Iowa
reviews: 27
5. Re: Spirit Airlines

They do charge for carry-ons, yes.

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

Spirit will get you to MB but there are many fees to add in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: Spirit Airlines

Spirit's fee schedue makes for interesting reading. If only it were a work of fiction. http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

One piece of checked baggage and one carryon bag will add $US130 to the cost of a return ticket. $US3 for a cup of instant noodles and another $US3 for a 335mL tin of fizzy drink or bottle of water just adds to the charm of the entire Spirit experience.

atlanta
reviews: 31
7. Re: Spirit Airlines

Don't forget the fee they added because they were made to show their fees.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
8. Re: Spirit Airlines

Don't forget you could be stranded for days since they will not interline with anyone if they have a cancelled flight. This is the only airline I will not fly based on their policies and limited capability to handle irregular operations.

Newcastle, England...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Spirit Airlines

''Don't forget you could be stranded for days since they will not interline with anyone if they have a cancelled flight. This is the only airline I will not fly based on their policies and limited capability to handle irregular operations.''

This always bemuses me as a European traveller, that say an airline is delayed or some malfunction that you expect the airline to pay to put you on another airline!

Maybe there are exceptions, but there are no LCC in Europe, even asia i magine, that would pay to put you with another airline if the plane is delayed or out of order, etc

Honestly, you guys need to step over to Europe, and witness the Ryan Air Crew with rulers standing at the boarding gate measuring suitcases, arguing over an inch or two .... can you imagine them paying to put you on a EasyJet flight if they were delayed?!

Spirit Airlines are definately lax with the true air price they advertise, because you have to factor in all the extra costs they add on, eg they charge you for baggage to take on board, which leaves a sour taste.

But in general i found on most routes they were still pretty cheap even if you added the costs in. So once you add the extra costs up, and the price with the added extras is still cheaper than other airlines i'd go with them. It's a no brainer.

Just do your research about the extras so you don't get burnt.

Edited: 8:45 pm, May 11, 2012
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
10. Re: Spirit Airlines

Ryanair has 294 aircraft Spirit has 40. Much easier to recover from irrops with a decent fleet and network

Reply to: Spirit Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted