We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SmartLynx??

whitley bay
reviews: 32
SmartLynx??

Hi,

Just rec'd a letter from Thomas Cook to say my flight (Newcastle to Kos, in September) may operate with SmartLynx instead of Thomas Cook Airlines.

Does anyone have any experience of flying with this airline?

According to their website they are going to operate one A320 aircraft for the summer season but I cant find much more info than that...just wanted a bit of a low down on the aircraft etc and the differences with the Thomas Cook ones.

Thanks x

110 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: SmartLynx??

The aircraft is about 15 years old and will be crewed by Thomas Cook.

Information on the aircraft

http://www.smart-lynx.com/default.asp?Doc=197

Sunderland, United...
2. Re: SmartLynx??

We are in the same situation as we are flying on Friday to Turkey and have also been told we may be flying with Smatlynx. They have only recently signed up with Thomas Cook so I doubt if anyone has yet had the experience. I am not pleased about it at all as I have paid extra to fly with Thomas cook when I could have got much cheaper flights with a smaller, more risky airline. Having been 'stung' three times and out of pocket with cheaper airlines, I thought we were playing it safe. At least I can provide feedback when we return on 29th May.

Edited: 11:55 am, May 07, 2012
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: SmartLynx??

When you book the airline is never guaranteed, but I would certainly never pay extra to fly Thomas Cook! SmartLynx may actually be an improvement.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
4. Re: SmartLynx??

"I am not pleased about it at all as I have paid extra to fly with Thomas cook when I could have got much cheaper flights with a smaller, more risky airline. "

_____

Nothing to worry about. For an airline to hold a license to operate within the EU they have to have very stringent safety standards.

whitley bay
reviews: 32
5. Re: SmartLynx??

Thanks for your replies and links.

Denise H I look forward to your review if you do end up flying with them & I hope they are an improvement to Thomas Cook Airlines :) x

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: SmartLynx??

You paid extra to flying Thomas cook? Compared to what? Walking and swimming?

northumberland
reviews: 40
7. Re: SmartLynx??

i have getting an email from thomas cook saying that i be using smart lynx on may 26th for 2 weeks from newcastle to faro, dont know anything about smart lynx and i hope that we get there and back in safe hands, i do know that the pilot and cabin crew are thomas cook, plus the plane is 14 years old, i wished that thomas cook would get new aircrafts instead of old planes

Madrid
reviews: 7
8. Re: SmartLynx??

Cabin crew will be Thomas Cook,but not the pilots.Smart Lynx have their own pilots,and Thomas Cook's pilots are not licenced to fly Smart Lynx aircraft.

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: SmartLynx??

I have paid extra to fly with Thomas cook when I could have got much cheaper flights with a smaller, more risky airline.

=======

More risky in what sense? If you mean safety, that's absolutely not the case, if you mean financial, well until last week you could barely have have had a less safe place to buy than TC. and from another post,a 24 year old plane is no less safe than a 14 year old plane or even a 4 year old one - the AF plane that crashed outside of Brazil a couple of years back was a very new plane, unfamiliarity of the pilots with its new instruments and displays actually being a major contributory cause.

Practically speaking, seems to me that when you book with a holiday company, you give up many of your rights on the flight times, airline, and even the hotel you use.

Newcastle
reviews: 72
10. Re: SmartLynx??

The Thomas Cook flight's on the Smartlynx A320 from Newcastle this summer are as follows. This will take affect more from June, some flights currently are being flown on other equipment before the full schedule is up and running in June.

MON - Corfu and Bodrum

TUE - Alicante and Heraklion

WED - Ibiza and Fuerteventura

THU - Dalaman

FRI - Palma and Bourgas

SAT - Alicante and Rhodes

SUN - Reus and Kefalonia

The aircraft itself is not a lot different to the Thomas Cook Airbus A320. It is in very good condition and looks very smart inside. The main noticeable difference internally is that the seats are a grey fabric rather than blue leather. Very comfortable. It first flew in late 1997, making it close to 15 years old. Some of Thomas Cook's oldest planes surpass this! the oldest A320 in the the Thomas Cook fleet is nearly 20. This is all irrelevant. They are very well maintained and whilst the Latvian A320 is at Newcastle it will be under the care of Thomas Cook's own engineers. All of the cabin crew will be local Newcastle based Thomas Cook cabin crew, and the service will be the same as any other short haul Thomas Cook flight including fantastic new in-flight meals for those who have pre-ordered. The arrangement with Smartlynx is the same as last summer when Thomas Cook leased two aircraft, one from Mint Airways and the other from Astraeus, who folded at the end of the summer. Anyone fretting about their flight be sure the changes are minimal and the aircraft is actually very good!

Reply to: SmartLynx??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted