We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Northern Philippines
reviews: 83
KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Is everyone aware that the flight is NO LONGER direct? They now have a 1.5 hour stop over in Taipei. You must deplane,take your cabin luggage,go to another gate,go thru security and reboard using your original seat. A needless waste of time.

My ticket was for a direct flight and this rescheduling resulted in a 6 hour layover in Schipol for a flight to Lisbon.

Even the KLM crews we spoke to are unhappy with the Taipei stopover.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Hi,

I think what you mean is that it went from a NON-STOP to DIRECT service-- on 25MAR12.

As information, a same-plane, same-flight number MNL-TPE-AMS is correctly classified direct service and can be shown or sold as both MNL-TPE v.v non-stop or MNL-AMS v.v direct service..

It just cannot now be shown or sold as a *non-stop* MNL-AMS v.v. service.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:29 am, May 06, 2012
Northern Philippines
2. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Unfortunately we purchased our tickets online in January and weren't informed until just before departure. It not only caused a very long layover but we lost one day of holiday time.Many unhappy passengers both going to and from Amsterdam

Lincoln UK
reviews: 1
3. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

However you wish to classify it, the fact is it now stops, takes longer and is a pain in the butt.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

I never liked the Taiwan holding pens when I'd travel SQ SIN-LAX, so I stopped flying that way.

Manila to AMS is a long flight and the winter is when they will encounter the highest headwinds. While inconvenient, the stop is likely a necessity.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Gobpi is correct.

A direct flight can have stops. A non stop flight does not, and it's a key difference that everyone should be aware of when purchasing a ticket.

Unfortunately it happens. There will be a reason for it, probably to offload or collect passengers.

Agree it's a total pain, it's happened to us before, resulting in us landing at 2 am instead of a more reasonable 9 pm, and I got home at. 4 in the morning. Horrible as we were travelling with our daughter who was about seven at the time.

I guess what the op is saying the 1.5 hour delay means they miss their connecting flight. With long haul it's always best to build in some contingency as flights do change.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

HI,

'"However you wish to classify it, the fact is it now stops, takes longer and is a pain in the butt"

==> The classification, or terminology is important, but true.. however you want to phrase it, it is now no long a non-stop...

I suspect that from KL's point of view, the economics where a big driver as they can now carry passengers who want to go AMS-TPE as well as AMS-MNL and the reverse is also true.. so the stop added a new revenue spectrum that the non-stop did not enable.

Travel Safe,

Northern Philippines
7. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

Apparently it has to do with taxes here imposed by the Philippine government.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 35
8. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

KLM and other airlines were being financially disadvantaged by the Philippine laws on taxes and fuel, so their hand was forced to change things. The government now has changed this, but it takes time to change things.

More info on this can be found here:

abs-cbnnews.com/business/03/27/12/air-france…

abs-cbnnews.com/business/12/28/12/make-way-p…

Puerto Princesa...
reviews: 85
9. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

From recent reports, the stop in Taipei has been beneficial to AF/KLM in terms of revenue, so any return to non-stop MNL-AMS is probably unlikely.

10. Re: KLM from Manila to Amsterdam No Longer Non Stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 07, 2014