We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with "Global entry"?

Albany, New York
reviews: 86
Experience with "Global entry"?

Hello,

I am thinking about signing up for "Global entry". Can you tell me your experiences?

Thanks, Undine

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

You need to fill out the forms online and then go to an Enrollment Center for a 30min or so appointment. Most are at the large airports, so you can time the appointment with a layover if you're an "out of towner". I got asked lots of questions about the countries I'd visited in the last 5yrs at the interview (you have to declare them when you apply online).

Never had any lines for getting into the country besides the odd one person ahead of you but it's so quick it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, it's a really, rather good system. Plus you don't need to fill out the blue customs forms anymore, woo!

Albany, New York
2. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Undine

kentucky
reviews: 37
3. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

Love mine!! I've been in some long lines at JFK and ATL.

Simple process--should get it before the price increase! I got a faux leather document case to go with my horrible photo!

No forms to complete on the plane (unless declaring goods--we don't shop).

Took me a few minutes last week--2 people ahead of me had carry bags everywhere. I took my receipt to customs and went on my merry way!

Cant' wait to see how well it works at DTW coming back from Asia.

Edited: 2:31 pm, April 27, 2012
kentucky
4. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

PS--my interview took 10 minutes.

Albany, New York
5. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

Nice. Thanks also for your response. Will definetly look into it. The only issue is when and how I will get the interview. Don't live next to one of the big airports where they have their offices.

Did I understand that correctly, they want to know the countries you have visited in the last five years? Then I better make some research and a list ahead of time.

Undine

kentucky
6. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

I listed many of them but as an airline employee spouse, my list is LONG!! So, I explained on arrival that I didn't list everywhere and they accepted it. I have al the stamps in my last 2 passports and I brought the current one with me (part of req'd documentation).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

When I did my application through the GOES website it asked the list of countries I'd been to there. The agent I interviewed with then skimmed through the stamps in my passport and asked if I'd really been to all these countries (only about 30 or so in the last 5yrs, so not enormous) and if it really was leisure travel, what I did for a living etc. Nothing too sinister even though I've got some Middle Eastern/bad guy countries on there...

The "interview" consisted of watching a video on how the process worked with a few questions at the end.

If you're able to I'd just find the next time you're laying over/departing from one of the GE Enrollment centre airports and give yourself some extra time to stop by the centre.

Albany, New York
8. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

Okay, thanks.

Wish I would have found out about it a few weeks ago. Just had a layover for NINE hours at one of those airports... oh well.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
9. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

If you live in Albany, and if you occasionally travel to Canada as well, you may wish to consider Nexus. With NEXUS, you now get Global Entry as well, and cost is only $50.00 for 5 years. So you can use it for Canada/US travel and then as Global Entry for coming back to the US from other countries.

cbp.gov/xp/…nexus_enroll.xml

The one negative is that you have to go for a personal interview and the locations are (for the most part) at the US-Canadian border.

White Plains, New...
reviews: 67
10. Re: Experience with "Global entry"?

Global Entry is well worth the cost! I've been able to bypass very long immigration lines at both JFK and Newark. As noted by a pervious poster, it's rare that there is ever a line at one to the kiosks and even when there is, the process goes very quickly. One more big advantage offered now is the ability to participate in the TSA pre check expedited screening process being tested at select airports. I've been able to take advantage of this at JFK, LaGuardia and Miami and it's great.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm