We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA & Toothpaste

Hilo, Hawaii
reviews: 3
TSA & Toothpaste

Taking a trip and for the first time and using only carry on and no checked bags. Aware of the 3oz rule for liquids but is toothpaste (full size tube) legal in carry on?

64 replies to this topic
Illinois
reviews: 16
1. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

It has to meet the 3oz rule. It's a gel.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
2. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

And it has to fit in the 1 qt zip-lock baggie. EVERYTHING considered liquid, gel etc has to be under 3 oz each and fit in that bag......including cosmetics that fit into the "baggie category.

Depending on where you're going, consider taking only a small "emergency" supply, and buying stuff at destination that you can toss before you come home.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
3. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

Hi,

lytwrkr,

Hit up Long's before you go.. They have a full stock of "minis" that are explicitly packaged in sizes that meet the 3oz/100ml limits that are the near word-wide standard.

On a per-ounce basis, they're a bad value, but in the end, you can't take a larger than 3oz container that has equal to or less than 3oz left over.. so you're kind of stuck in that regard..

I carry so-called travel sizes of almost everything in the personal hygiene grooming spectrum and find that for trips of about one week or so, they cover me for the whole duration...

As I'm on the road a lot, some of the containers I keep and refill at home, so no need to buy a new one each time.. Shampoo and mouthwash comes to mind.. Others like toothpaste and deodorant I toss when empty.

Pretty much the only things that are not subject to the 3oz/100ml restrictions are those that are your medicines or medical in nature..

i have a colleague who must use a special, by-prescription only, toothpaste (yes, there is such thing as a prescription toothpaste) as she has a fluoride deficiency issue.. and her toothpaste is a legitimate prescription that's labeled by the dispensary as such... so she can bring it past the check-point, but aside from that, everything else that's over the limits goes in checked baggage (if used) or most be under the limit and fit in "the bag".

Travel Safe,

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 2
4. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

I'm surprised to hear this. I always pack regular size toothpaste tubes in my carry on luggage, and have never had a problem.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

>>I'm surprised to hear this. I always pack regular size toothpaste tubes in my carry on luggage, and have never had a problem.<<

I'm surprised that you're surprised. A "tube of toothpaste" could be a tube of anything with a Colgate logo painted onto the outside. Or even a genuine toothpaste tube with something else pumped into it, like more toothpaste, or putty, or semtex, or whatever.

Personally I'd be worried about the leniency at your local airport security, and I never thought I'd say that about the TSA.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
6. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

Actually, I don't think the x-rays are very good at picking up certain things like toothpaste as a liquid.

While I always have my transparent bag ready, in the past 5 years, the only two airports that had requested me to take out the transparent bag to be x-rayed separately were Hartford and Naha, Okinawa.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 25
7. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

I had the last two squeezes of a 110g toothpaste tube confiscated at Vancouver on my way home at the end of a trip. There wouldn't have been 3g let alone 3oz of paste there, but the size of the tube (squeezed very flat I might add) was the factor.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 27
8. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

I squeeze it into the little travel tubs used for moisturizer. Two small tubs were more than enough for a six week trip.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 459
9. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

why worry about travelling with toothpaste must be one of the easiest items you can buy in just about any destination.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
10. Re: TSA & Toothpaste

"'m surprised that you're surprised. A "tube of toothpaste" could be a tube of anything with a Colgate logo painted onto the outside. Or even a genuine toothpaste tube with something else pumped into it, like more toothpaste, or putty, or semtex, or whatever"

Banning certain sized containers is one of the dumbest things the TSA has done. There is nothing stopping someone from walking in and out of the sterile area 10 times with a new one quart baggie filled with contraband to get several pounds in. Or 10 people doing the same. The human body is a great container for smuggling things - just ask any drug mule. The resources wasted taking away toothpaste would be much better spent on intelligence.

Reply to: TSA & Toothpaste
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted