We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Airways to Bangkok

Nottingham...
Jet Airways to Bangkok

In June I am travelling on Jet Airways from LHR to BKK via Mumbai (and back), and I have a few questions!

- Is there seat back entertainment on the BOM-BKK leg?

- What is it like to transit through Mumbai and is there anything I should know?

Any other general tips/comments regarding Jet Airways are welcome!

Thanks,

Jess

Nottingham...
1. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

I'm sure someone must be able to help me?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

You opted to transfer through Mumbai? Oh dear, do you have an Indian visa?

I've read 9W have been cracking down on international transit passengers. The other week a friend was almost denied boarding by 9W staff because he didn't have a visa even though he was never planning to leave the airport in India. He eventually managed to talk some sense into them and got on the flight but not after a lot of haranguing. Could just be one bad egg but who knows.

With the multitude of options non-stop between LON and BKK why bother with a stopover?

Nottingham...
3. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

Because I am a cash-strapped student, and for the dates I was flying the stop-over option was £300 cheaper!

I was told by my travel agent (who my family has used for years) that she has sent a lot of people on the route and there had never been a problem. I did try and do some research and didn't think I needed a visa, but you saying that makes me worried!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

Fair enough, your family TA is correct, technically, but that won't help if 9W staff don't play ball, as they did with my friend who is an exceptionally well travelled individual.

The way they described it to him was a new company wide policy that came into effect a few weeks ago. April 1st maybe.

If your long standing relationship with the TA is such that you can get flights changed to avoid 9W I'd do so. You'll be even more cash strapped if you're denied boarding and forced to buy a brand new ticket at very short notice.

London, United...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

I used to do check in for Jet at LHR.

I have many friends including duty officers who work there still so can find out the rules for sure for you, reply to this if you would like me to.

When I worked there, the rules were if it was under a certain amount of hours, your baggage was checked through and you were ticketed on the same ticket as it sounds like you may be, then you could get away with it...that said we were always told everyone should have a visa in case of emergencies or for instance say there were problems with the plane and you had to overnight, they would not be able to hotel you as you would not be allowed entry into the country. I would maybe get one to play safe anyways for events such as that.

Nottingham...
6. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

It would be great if you could find out if there was any specific policy - I can't find anything on their website about transit visas, so i'm a bit confused!

Yes my itinerary is all on one ticket, and my layovers are about 2 hours each way, so in theory if everything goes to plan there shouldn't be a problem? Agree it would be safest, but I already have to sort out a visa for vietnam, and i'm very busy right up until I go, so would rather avoid having to sort out a visa unless I have to!

Thankyou for your replies!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

Jessica,

I'll also do a bit of checking on the visa front as I have an account with a visa agent and access to their query database. I've never heard of OP2002's situation about a visa being mandatory to transit AIRSIDE. However, I would agree with the gist of what he's saying. I personally never transit in a country for which I don't have entry clearance, because if there were irregular operations (delays, cancelations, etc) you could be stranded airside for a long time. And, BOM is not a great airport for that to happen.

Anyway, now to your original question.

I have flown Jet on BOM-BKK, returning from a business trip in India (I do have a visa) to a vacation. I was on the early afternoon flight on a 737-800. It was a very pleasant flight. Seat pitch is a standard 31", but there were seat back screens with full AVOD. The food was good for airline food, with a choice of four main courses (Vegetarian and non veg in both Indian and Thai cuisines). The flight attendants were very pleasant and I enjoyed the flight.

If you're returning that way (and my outbound was BKK-DEL), everything service wise was the same. However, the passengers were somewhat more lively (craving for alcoholic drinks a lot). Bangkok is a big tourist destination for Indians, and the flight had the ambience of us Americans/Brits on a party flight back from Vegas, on (so I've heard) the Virgin flights to/from Gatwick.

But, Jet's a good airline IMO.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

Passengers transiting only are exempt from holding a visa when:

Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.

Check in staff use data from IATA Timaticweb when in doubt.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

I think both OP2002 and USBusinesstraveller make valid points.

The problem for you Jessica is if your second sector is delayed,giving you a longer transit time.If this were to happen before you leave the UK or Thailand,that may well lead to you being denied boarding.

As you only have about 2 hours transit time,a delay of about that to your first sector will mean you miss your connection.If you are on one ticket,the airline is required to put you on the next flight with available seats,which may well be the next day or longer.

I see a few ways for your nice comfortable trip to go pear shaped,and cost you money.Paying for an Indian visa will be peanuts in comparison.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: Jet Airways to Bangkok

>>The problem for you Jessica is if your second sector is delayed,giving you a longer transit time.If this were to happen before you leave the UK or Thailand,that may well lead to you being denied boarding.<<

I very much doubt that. Even if Jet were to have to deny boarding, they would have to accommodate Jessica on the next legit connection with available seats, or on anotver route, at no extra cost, as part of the Contract of Carriage.

And, btw, Jet does currently have 3 flights per day from BOM-BKK, at 1:05, 7:40 and 13:05.