We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Level Contributor
161 posts
Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Just got back from a lovely holiday in Dubai. Here is a review of the airline that I used, in my experience.

Firstly, for Royal Brunei, lets start of with the seats. The seats, in economy are average but arent very big, I found it very hard to get into a comfortable position in the small space given, I was, at a time, so uncomfortable, I had to go for a walk every 20 minutes...

Next, there is the food, im not sure who provides it but I don't care...:) The food on the flight there was a chicken and potato main course, with a side of salad, which, upon looknig around me, no one had consumed. And a desert of whipper cream. The food was all together nice but could have done with some changes, like: No having the salad, a better dessert and they could have served it at a better time too, it was served 2 hours into a 7-8 hour flight. On the return flight, which was a night flight we were served something that resembled a breakfast. I chose (on this flight we were given a choice, unlike the first) the scrambled egg breakfast. The eggs didn't look very appealing to me, but I gave them a try and they weren't "all that". I was also served a salad, which again, upon looking around, no one consumed. And also a croissant which was nice, but plain. And for desert a Strawberry Yoghurt which was good...

Next, there is staff. The cabin crew were kind, pleasant and proffesinal at all times. Whenever I asked them for things they done them, very quickly. The uniform they were is attractive and looks quite modern, it looks tradionally "arabic/asia".

Next, is the amount of luggage that one is allowed to take. The limit is 20kg, for economy per person, which, for cheap tickets like the ones I got, is a very good deal. Supposing there was 4 of us, we were allowed 80kg (I can do maths), although we only needed 2 suitcases, however, one did peak at 21.5kg but we were given the "nod".

The inflight entertainment, in my opinion is a let down. For a non-british/english airline, the english channels/movies supplied was great. However, i looked around me, and 3 tv's of other passengers seats were not functioning propely. The system to get around, e.g: The remote, is a nightmare. The rewind,pause,stop,forward system is really slow...and tedious, I had to rewind one of my movies 3 times because it went back to the beginning for some daft reason.

Overall, fo the 4 of us, for direct flight we paid around £1400, which is a great prioce for such a brilliant airline. The planes, as some say are "old" but they dont seem it, the tvs could do with some sprucing up, as with the sweats, but the experience is good and so is the airline all together.

Not sure if this review was helpful, but I thought I'd give my own personal experience and view of the airline, only because I have asked so much about this holiday on this forum and received so many great answers.

Raheem

107 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

That's a great review. Did you book through their website? How did you find the booking process? And were you flying from London?

Level Contributor
161 posts
2. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Thanks Angrylips.

I did book through their website. One thing I forgot to mention was that their online check-in service is down and has been for a while now which was disappointing but I found out, once I got to the airport that the seats were chosen for us.

The booking process was a bit "iffy". On my computer the "final payment" button was not working on my Google Chrome so I redone it on IE9 and it worked perfectly fine.

I flew from London Heathrow

Raheem

P.S: These hiccups may seem bad, but really, they aren't

Edited: 8:03 am, April 18, 2012
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

I booked on Royal Brunei site yesterday all went through without a hitch (other than me not setting up my Visa verified!! so had to book twice.) so the site is set to assist in "fraud" prevention

One of the easiest and straight forward I have come across in ages, you see the prices first

They allow you to select special meals types in the booking process (haven't seen that anywhere else) and there is a wide range of meal types you can request e.g. low lactose, vegetarian, children's, Muslim, vegan

On the other hand the BA booking was a shocker and I didn't know what it was going to cost until 3 screens into the booking. Different flights were at varied prices but you had to go through the entire process over and over to see what price you were going to get

Edited: 6:25 am, May 17, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
146 reviews
4. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Glad you enjoyed the flight.

I've flown BI a few times, most recently earlier this year after a hiatus of about 5 years. The seats you mentioned are ex-Singapore Airlines B777-200, which I personally haven't had a problem with. Shame about the entertainment systems not functioning-- this is not unusual for BI, I think :(

As for the food, ex-Brunei is catered by a subsidiary of the airline, not sure about other ports. I was most disappointed this time around with the poor catering after experiencing what was the best inflight meal of any airline about 5 years ago. From your report sounds like it wasn't just me who experienced bad food recently!

1400 quid is very good for a party of 4. I think that is the strength of BI-- full-service but value for money, without stooping to the lows of LCCs! :)

Spalding, United...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Have recently booked seats for Heathrow-Dubai in November and couldnt find where to prebook seats. One email to Brunai HQ and they did it all for me. I understand that they do not serve alcohol on board but that we can take some drinks on with us. can anyone confirm this?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
378 reviews
6. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

You might consider also posting a review at http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm. I am intrigued by the "whipper cream."

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

>>>> I understand that they do not serve alcohol on board but that we can take some drinks on with us. can anyone confirm this?

I had heard this too but didn't actually see anyone on the flight adding alcohol to their drinks, not to say they didn't.

The FA's come around quite often with drinks during the flight..something I haven't seen in a long time and constantly clean the cabin/toilets.

The food was passable and edible.

My inflight worked and have used the same system on other airlines, relatively recent movies and enough to last the 24 hour flight

From a service point of view I would give them 100%, they would have to be the nicest and most attentive crew I have come across and they work the entire flight!

Get to the airport early...Checkin at Heathrow is a nightmare, given the amount of baggage people seemed to be bringing I doubt on-line checkin would make it any easier.

The Brunei/Dubai/Heathrow/Dubai/Brunei flights were 100% full..the Melb legs weren't.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
146 reviews
8. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

If alcohol is really that important to you, you can bring your own on board. I've never been that desperate, however.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
1,507 reviews
9. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Bringing one's own alcohol on board is expensive with the so-called 'LAGS" restrictions of 10 x 100ml maximum containers of liquid being allowed through security. It means that one must purchase alcohol airside to carry it on board.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
146 reviews
10. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines Review

Well, theoretically it would be cheaper than downtown, being bought at a duty free shop. However, I just think you'd need to be pretty desperate for a drink if you need to take one on board. Have never seen anyone do it, either.

Reply to: Royal Brunei Airlines Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted