We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Perth
Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Hi,

I booked a ticket for a friend under the name Nick but on his passport his full name is Nickolas. We are going from Australia to the USA my travel agent said I should change the name but it is going to cost around $600 as we are going on a lot of flights. Has anyone had this problem before and is it really a big deal when at the airport? Any comments would be a huge help :)

Thanks

Wirral
reviews: 95
1. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

As far as I am aware your first and last name need to be an exact match to that on your passport, I will stand corrected to someone with greater experience though. But think you may need to change the name on your ticket.

Regards

DilbertPhilbert

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 37
2. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Make sure that it is not Nicholas as NicKolas is not that common.

You might get away with it but you need just the one official or check in person who applies the rules and whoops apocalypse.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

I flew with Ron as my name for many years and got away with it but I was questioned a coule of times. Now after reading TA forums I always use my full name.

You will likely be OK but it just takes one gate agent to leave you stranded. I remember at BKK my friend had a problem explaining that Jim was short for James.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Hi

Contact the airline directly and tell them your mistake. The chances are that they will make the adjustment for free. Don't try and use the travel agent, when you made the booking any travel agent worth his salt would have said that 'Nick' is usually the shortened form of a name and checked it was correct.

Check and double check the proper spelling of his name then a quick call to the airline.

Jackie

UK
reviews: 22
5. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Just before a longish trip o South America I noticed that the airline had misspelled my name by one letter, adding an 'e' at the end. They reassured me that it wouldn't matter.

The journey involved around 9 'legs' and it caused me problems on 7 of them, not able to find my booking, needing to consult someone more senior etc. I was never denied boarding but it was quite stressful and I would not risk it again.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

My passport says David, I use Dave on tickets everytime and have not once had an issue in all my years travelling.

In fact thinking back a fair few tickets have just said D Parry so again making it even less of an issue.

Just my experience, you must call it how you see fit.

:-)

Edited: 4:42 am, April 17, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
7. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

Your passenger information record is most important, but yes, you should have used the passport name. That said, the only flight record that really needs (if any) changing is the entry and exit flights... the ones you need to clear immigration on. The internals won't matter. They just want to be sure that you are who you say you are.

He'll probably be fine, but talk to the airline directly.

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

I just booked a ticket with Qatar Airways to Bangkok and used my girlfriends nick name Kate instead of Katherine (as on her passport). I have called the airline and they said this is quite a problem but they will see what they can do. I really hope I get it sorted out. Lesson: Proof read online booking and make sure details are identical to passport details!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
9. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

David, welcome to the forum. Please try not to dig up old threads and tag a post onto the end. It throws emails to the original poster, confuses the readership, and does your post a disservice.

People need to book tickets in the name as seen in their passport. Airlines issue a ticket to a particular person so changing names to Steve from Stephan, Bill to William (quite a difficult one for many to understand), or Ron to Ronald can be a problem.

Santa Ana...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Nickname on flight ticket not full name

I just picked my son up from LAX because of this problem. His girlfriend used his nickname Danny instead of Daniel on his plane ticket. The name Daniel is the name on his passport. My son did not realize this before they left for the airport and spent 1 1/2 hours trying to no avail to fix the problem. They did not let him on the international flight. Needless to save he didn't get to go on the trip.