We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

UK
reviews: 19
Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

I am flying to Dubai later in the year to visit my friend who works there - Virgin /BA are extortionate and Emirates only marginally better - Gulf Air and Royal Brunei coming out very cheap - can anyone offer any views on Gulf Air / Royal Brunei?

Am a bit of a nervous flyer so do need the odd drink to knock me out - can you take your own drinks on RoyalBrunei or is it completely dry and is Gulf Air as bad as people say it is?

Views / honest answers greatly appreicated

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Then you can knock out Royal Brunei. It's a dry airline and bringing and drinking your own alcohol is a violation of international air regulations.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Then you can knock out Royal Brunei. It's a dry airline and bringing and drinking your own alcohol is a violation of international air regulations.

I thought Royal Brunei did actually allow to bring your own alcohol aboard. Am sure I've read others here say that.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 226
3. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Gulf is very wet, it is not as bad as some reports and its A330 LHR/BAH flight is more than acceptable. I assume you have looked at the reviews for both of them on

http://www.airlinequality.com/index.htm

?

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
4. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

I can only comment on Royal Brunei. It is indeed a dry airline but you can bring your own alcohol on board from duty free, and the cabin crew are more than happy to give you a cup/ice/whatever you need to consume it. Royal Brunei use B777-200 leased from Singapore Airlines, so if you've ever flown SQ you can picture what the cabin is like. Personal TVs, but selection is limited (good thing you're not travelling to Asia, as you'd exhaust all decent possibilities by Dubai!). Ordinarily, my pick is Emirates. But like you, on a trip last year everyone, including EK, was just extortionate and Royal Brunei were a good us$800 cheaper than everyone else! I think they offer a decent product when you don't want to pay such high fares.

London, United...
reviews: 128
5. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

You can take alcohol on board without any penalty and the earlier review was nonsense about violations etc.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Drinking your own alcohol (not served by cabin crew) is a violation of international air regulations, but apparently accepted by Royal Brunei.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
7. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Hans - not trying to be funny, but which 'international air regulation are BI breaching? Can you cite it specifically? Just interested.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
8. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

Royal Brunei is just fine, do note that Royal Brunei flight would be Non Stop but Gulf Air would mean a change of flight in Bahrain so longer journey in total if you went Gulf Air.

Edited: 11:49 am, March 25, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
9. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

I would also check out other options on the Matrix website as there usually isn't that much difference in price between Royal Brunei and the other middle east airlines.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

10. Re: Gulf Air / Royal Brunei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 27, 2014