We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

fluffer1000
reviews: 23
Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Hi

Has anyone else been conned by the Thomson 'select a seat' extra when booking holidays?

i recently didnt get the seats i paid extra on a Thomson flight. Turns out that 'select a seat' extra actually means that you get to sit next to your partner. Next to means in the adjacent seat, which could be on either side of the aisle or in the seat in front!! thats not next in my book.

However free of charge you can book online which seat on the plane you sit in but they are not obliged to honour this request, they can move your seat with no notice and with no reason for doing so. and as this is free (you only paying to sit next to each other) you have no come back in terms of a refund!!

I had an excellent holiday and have already booked my next one with them and have paid extra for the 'select a seat' and i now i feel conned!

187 replies to this topic
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
1. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Why do you feel conned? On Thomson's website it says "If you pay extra to reserve seats together, you’ll get to choose your seat numbers for free on most Thomson Airways flights" and "That said, in some circumstances, we may have to change your seat. This would only be for operational, safety or security reasons." So, if you have chosen your seat numbers they should be together. That doesn't seem to be what hapened with you. Better that than just turning up at the airport and being allocated seats in different parts of the plane.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
2. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

As you only pay to sit together, not select seat numbers, as long as you are sat together that is all they have to do. If you hadn't been sat together you would have been entitled to a refund. The definition of sitting together is clearly explained in their terms and conditions.

No airline will guarantee seat numbers.

fluffer1000
3. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

It's called 'select a seat' which implies you can select a seat! Yes it does explain this in the small print but sometimes you expect to get what is offered. The seat we had booked went to people who hadn't even paid extra.

Newton Abbot...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
reviews: 5
4. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Sitting together is classed as across an aisle, or infront or behind each other.....you could have gone online and booked your actual seat numbers/rows for free at 60 days before inbound flight or telephoned them 90 days before your inbound flight......as Leyland mentioned no airlines guarantee seat numbers/rows booked but in saying that to date I have always got the seat/row numbers I have booked in all the years that I have flown with Thomson since they implimented the select your seat.

Angie.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Hi,

"Next to means in the adjacent seat, which could be on either side of the aisle or in the seat in front!! thats not next in my book."

==> I see where the OP is coming from.. however, I do think it's somewhat like when a passenger says "I need a direct flight from LA to Bangkok"... but then ends up on fligtht 123 that goes LAX to NRT, and then continues on as flight 123 to BKK..

They DID in fact get a direct flight.. because that's the definition of direct.. what the passenger in my example *wanted* was a *non-stop* ... but due to differences in terminology, didn't get that..

Does this mean the airline was wrong? As is the case of the OP, No.. The airline did deliver what they said they would-- a direct flight or a seat *next to* -- then they got what the airline promised..

====

"Yes it does explain this in the small print but sometimes you expect to get what is offered."

==> THIS is where I think it went bad.. Rightly or wrongly, the OP acknowledges that it IS defined and disclosed by the carrier.. so just on that facet alone I can't agree with "rip off".... but evidently the OP either didn't see it, or choose to read it.. Now, could the airline have made this more clear? bigger print? Sure.. so to that end I can see some shared responsibility on both sides.. the airline to properly and clearly disclose what is and is not offered... and for the passenger to clarify what is his/her expectations.

Travel Safe,

fluffer1000
6. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

It's called 'select a seat' which implies you can select a seat! Yes it does explain this in the small print but sometimes you expect to get what is offered. The seat we had booked went to people who hadn't even paid extra. I didn't want people to quote the Thomson website, I've since read it myself. All I want to point out to people is that the so called 'select a seat' isn't all it's labelled as.

I think a clearer name for it would be 'choose to sit near your partner' tho it's not as catchy a title however true it is.

My point is that Thomson are misleading people with the title of the product

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
7. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

How do you clarify your expectations when you are booking a flight? If you are offered to Select a Seat surely the onus is on the customer to find out what that means and not to assume it is what they expect?

I think Thomson's explanation on their website at thomson.co.uk/editorial/extras/select-your-s… is pretty explicit unlike a certain S E Asian carrier that is causing its passengers problems with its automated seat selection system.

fluffer1000
8. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

It's called 'select a seat' which implies you can select a seat! Yes it does explain this in the small print but sometimes you expect to get what is offered. The seat we had booked went to people who hadn't even paid extra. I didn't want people to quote the Thomson website, I've since read it myself. All I want to point out to people is that the so called 'select a seat' isn't all it's labelled as.

I think a clearer name for it would be 'choose to sit near your partner' tho it's not as catchy a title however true it is.

My point is that Thomson are misleading people with the title of the product

If you walked into a shop and ordered a mars bar would you be surprised if the shop keeper give you a cow?

I would be. But then the shop keeper explained that in the shops terms and conditions it says clearly that a mars bar actually means a cow and it's your fault for not reading the small print so please leave the shop and take you cow with you.

So it's all ok and you would be happy? No well neither I'm I.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
9. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Actually reading the far from small print ion the Thomson website states what the product is. You, it would appear, chose to believe what the term Select a Seat implies to you. In order to give balance to your view that Thomson are misleading people, members can read what it says and decide for themselves, something which it is always recommended anyone should do before buying any product so as to avoid any wrong assumptions.

fluffer1000
10. Re: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff

Yes that's right I choose to assume that the product called select a seat was indeed to allow you to select a seat. I was hoping to warn others that this is not the case, others like me who wrong assume that the description of products match the product itself. I wasn't looking for people who have nothing better to do than quote the Thomson website.

I know now what it says, I'm trying to point out this fact to others who may not have read it and are thinking the select a seat means just that!!

And it doesn't!

Reply to: Thomson 'select a seat' ripoff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted