We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

Devon
reviews: 33
Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

We have flown easyJet 4 return trips since Oct 11: Palma x 2, Malaga and Amsterdam.

On each leg easyJet have asked for a specific number of volunteers to put their hand luggage in the hold, in return being allowed to board the plane first (after SB)

On our last trip we took advantage of this, having come to expect it as the norm and saved £80 on Speedy Boarding!

The announcemnet was that if they didnt have enough volunteers they would select at random people who would be made to put their luggage in the hold! Is this becoming the norm on all their flights?

Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
1. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

This is the norm on most US Airlines. Since the adoption of luggage fees, more people carry-on. Overhead space is like gold. the overhead space usually runs out before the last 3/4 of the plane is boarded. Most people will wait and check their bags at that time to avoid the luggage fees.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
2. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

Never seen them asking for volunteers at Schiphol but certainly there is always a lack of spacce in the overhead bins. Also most people are pretty stupid and selfish about how they put their carry on in the OH lockers. they just chuck them in any old way and put their small bags up there too. I had an arguement with one guy who, whilst I was taking my coat off threw his bag into the space right above my seat (he was sat three rows away) before I could put my bag there.

Law of the jungle and I won but space is a problem.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

I've seen that on other airlines as well. They aren't doing it to annoy you, it's simply a question of there not being enough overhead locker space to fit everyone's carry-on so rather than forcing the last people to board to check their luggage they ask for volunteers.

Easyjet is actually doing a trial run on selected routes where they allow two pieces of carry-on as long as they fit in the carry-on cages at the gate. No doubt this is to off-set the problem of lack of overhead locker space.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 253
4. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

Since they only allow 1 carry-on that would mean them putting medicines/cameras/passports etc in the hold????

Not going to happen with my small bag as my checked bag is only carry-on size. A very bad idea IMO.

UK
reviews: 46
5. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

This has happened to us a few times with Easyjet, on flights between the UK and Madrid. I wouldnt say that they asked for volunteers, they told the Speedyboarders and the people at the front of the queue that they had to put their hand luggage in the hold, or they would not be allowed on the aircraft.

My friend had food and nappies in her bag for her 6month old son, and they still didnt let her take that on board. We had to quickly take out what was needed, along with any valuables.

Edited: 5:01 pm, March 20, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
6. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

"A very bad idea IMO."

What do you want them to do? They can't just magically make more overhead space appear so somebody's luggage has to go in hold. Asking for volunteers seems to me to be the best way to do it.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 95
7. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

This happened on both legs of my recent flight with easyjet to and from Madrid, and it really annoyed me I had paid to put a case in the hold so I could have everything I needed for the trip and the majority just turned up at the gate with cases that were clearly bigger than allowed and stuffed to bursting point. The staff didn't bother to check size of cases at check in or the gate and then let the people who have flouted the rules check their case for free and board before me who had followed all the rules and paid to check my case. It's not a case of there not being enough room in the OH lockers, people need to start being more considerate to other passengers and easyjet need to start enforcing its own rules correctly. Moan over!

Regards

DilbertPhilbert

Edinburgh, United...
8. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

I understand your frustration but to be fair, Easyjet are usually pretty vigilant about checking carry-on sizes. I'm usually always asked to put my carry-on in the cage to check that it fits.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
9. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

Pack a smaller bag inside the bigger one to contain the stuff you should never check.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 253
10. Re: Easyjet asking volunteers to put hand luggage in the hold

If I pay for a checked bag and priority boarding and have a carry-on smaller than their required size then i would be very, very annoyed to have to shuffle my medications into a plastic bag (and what about DH's CPAP machine which should NOT be checked???) whilst people behind me were allowed on with full sized carry-on's.