We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover time at London Heathrow

Dallas
reviews: 36
Layover time at London Heathrow

I am trying to decide which flight to take and I have a question about layover time on a connection through Heathrow. Here are the flight details:

American Airlines flight from Dallas to Heathrow, arriving at 10:45 a.m.

Connecting on Alitalia flight to Rome at 12:20 p.m.

That's a 1 hour 35 minute layover. Most of my London flights are to Gatwick so I'm not as familar with Heathrow. I just want to make sure that gives us enough time to get through customs, send our bags on their way and get to the gate. Any help is greatly appreciated!

25 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

Are they definitely the same terminal ? I would have thought three and 4 which will require the heathrow connect train, but possibly they arrive and depart in the same terminal?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

You won't clear customs (or Border Control) if you're on one itinerary. Follow the purple signs for Flight Connections upon arrival at Terminal 3. You'll just need to reclear security at the Flight Connections Centre. If it's not a legal connection you shouldn't be allowed to book it.

London, United...
3. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

You can book it on two separate tickets though.,,,not sure which the op is doing?

If two separate then customs and bags are required, but would not be advisable in any shape or form.,,,unless there is no concern about missing the Italy connection...

One ticket and its the airlines responsibility.

Dallas
4. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

It's an option through Travelocity. It looks like we arrive terminal 3 and depart terminal 4. I'm thinking I will look for a later flight option. I hate making my travel party have to rush to make a flight. We don't plan on starting our touring until the following day.

Thanks for your suggestions!

London, United...
5. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

I would, also worth checking if it's one ticket or two separate tickets that they are offering you within the option. I book direct so am not familiar with this company, but would be hesitant if two separate tickets unless a very good time frame in between.

St. John's, Canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

Uh, oh! I booked seperate tickets with a 1.5 hours stopover in London (also coming from an international flight & heading to another international flight). Why is customs required when it's just a stopover & moving on to another country?

St. John's, Canada
7. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

Also note though, that all flights are in the Star Alliance & my bags can be checked to my final destination. I'm in the process of also getting my linked.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

Why is customs required when it's just a stopover & moving on to another country?

You're not required to clear border control and customst at Heathrow, unless your ticket forces you to go landside. If it's just a connection it's only security that you'll need to clear.

Dallas
9. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

You don't have to go through customs until your final arrival city. I guess I was getting that confused with returning to the US, which I have always had to go through customs at the first port of entry.

I checked the website for Heathrow. They said to allow 90 minutes to move from terminal 3 to terminal 4.

Good luck!

We still haven't booked our tickets, but the plan is to get them by tomorrow. We've been waiting to see if ticket prices will go down any, but doesn't look like they will. It's hard to spend almost $1500 for one ticket!

St. John's, Canada
10. Re: Layover time at London Heathrow

Ok, that's what I thought...RE: customs @ Heathrow.

If I only have to go through security, 90 minutes between term 1 & 3 should be doable. Hopefully, we won't need to check in there...that would be the problem for me.

Reply to: Layover time at London Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted