We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical evacuation insurance

Norway, ME
posts: 30
reviews: 9
Medical evacuation insurance

Has anyone had to actually use this type of insurance, and have a good or bad review of the company? We're trying to decide whether to cancel the trip based on a medical condition, or purchase insurance instead. Thanks!

Scotland
posts: 1,319
reviews: 11
1. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Bear in mind that unless you declare any pre-existing conditions at the time you purchase insurance, you will NOT be covered.

If you do declare, insurers will either explicitly exclude it from your policy, or possibly offer you a higher quote to cover it.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
posts: 12,312
reviews: 201
2. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I rarely travel without some type of health insurance, generally a mix of medical evacuation and something that provides some financial protection for health care costs in which ever foreign country I am visiting. I have never had to use it, but if I did the cost of the premium would be insignificant to the benefit I would receive.

Scots_Al is correct when he advises that you must declare any pre-existing condition, and you may have to pay a higher cost to have that condition covered.

Hants, UK
posts: 2,367
reviews: 17
3. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Could you afford to pay all the medical expenses and repatriation should the worst happen?

Mesa, Arizona
posts: 9,947
reviews: 7
4. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I used to have MedJet Assist when I traveled up to 3 times a year. it was very expensive, but worth it. I think it was around $300/year and you got a deal for 3 years.

Edited: 4:38 pm, March 10, 2012
Seattle, Washington
posts: 6,657
reviews: 85
5. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

We're trying to decide whether to cancel the trip based on a medical condition, or purchase insurance instead. Thanks!

***********

I don't think purchasing insurance now is possible for you with almost all plans. Once you know you have a condition, it is considered "pre-existing" and almost all plans that will provide coverage for "pre-existing" conditions require you to purchase your policy within a certain number of days from the date you made the first deposit on your trip (usually 14-21 days).

It's like calling an insurance agent to insure your house after it's already on fire.

Canada
posts: 634
reviews: 2
6. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Have you looked into DAN?

Originally went signed up with the diver support organization,, it does offer a medic vac option.

DH & I have held it for many years, and we feel it gives us an extra level of support.

If I recall, they have never asked for a medical background.

Prices IMO are very reasonable.

Annie

Edited: 3:18 am, March 11, 2012
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
posts: 24,768
reviews: 61
7. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I still don't really understand the OP's query.

Does it mean there is a member of an already booked trip with a serious pre-existing medical condition that "may" result in medical evacuation during the course of the trip?

In that case I would think the even if the OP could find a company at this stage to even consider offering insurance, on a risk analysis basis if the condition is so serious as to warrant consideration of cancellation that Medical evacuation was a probability, at that point insurance would be declined or a premium set so high that it would be unaffordable.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Canada
posts: 634
reviews: 2
8. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

The OP has not come back to answer.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
posts: 24,768
reviews: 61
9. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I'd noticed that. ;-)

Norway, ME
posts: 30
reviews: 9
10. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Thanks for all the input! I was wondering if anyone had actually used any of the various options out there. The 'pre-existing condition' could go either way: be fine for the duration of the trip, or require hospitalization. We were wondering whether or no to take the chance. Alas, it doesn't seem like the trip will be happening :(. We'll probably try to reschedule when things are more stable, and I'm still interested in insurance info for the future.