We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

England
reviews: 18
Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

I am so angry at Canadian Affair and their customer service, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

We booked direct flights to Halifax in June a few weeks ago. Last week we were informed the flights was cancelled. Inconvenient, but within their right in their T&C. I called to ask about our options and was told either fly 3 days later or fly via Toronto. I asked if a refund was possible and was very clearly told no as they were offering the option to get to Halifax on the same day via Toronto. So I took that option. The next day I look at their T&C again and find out we should have been offered a refund, and what's more the connecting flight is an internal flight with a different company and we are now completely liable if something goes wrong, i.e. if there is another scheduled change, by either airline, and we miss a connection, or if there are delays. None of this was explained to us (I even asked the agent "can i find all these flight times on your website as I don't have a pen" and she said yes, which was untrue, you can only look up LGW to Toronto flight times).

Looking online, another scheduled change is very likely (Air Transat even confirmed to me that it is highly possible that flight times could change) - and this means we have to pay for any extra costs to change the internal flights. Same if we miss the connection during the journey. This makes me so angry because this was not explained to us - the impression they gave me was that we were booking a flight to Halifax where we could check in all the way to Haliax, not 2 separate flights, which I never would have done independently, knowing the risks. When we booked our original flight and paid money to Canadian Afffair, it was to Halifax. Now we have essentially only booked the flights to Toronto with them.

I called customer services again to query this and of course they are not taking any responsibility. What's more, the customer services agent I originally spoke to is now claiming she did offer me a refund. It's unbelivable she can point blank lie! (Conveniently they do not record their calls).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And has anyone else had their flights from LGW to Toronto changed a few months? I dread having to fork out extra money for this trip.

Thanks everyone.

54 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
1. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Are all your flights on one ticket? If so, while I am not sure which airline is responsible --it won't be you.

England
reviews: 18
2. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Hello. Not sure what 'one ticket' means in this case or how I would find that out. I know what it means in principle, but it's hard to be certain in this case as each time I call their customer services I get a slightly different slant on the issue. They don't issue any documents until 4 weeks before, but I do know we ned to check in twice, once for Air Transat and once for Westjet. So it's probably two separate tickets.

I'd love to know how likely it is that flight times from LGW to Toronto will change. Searching on the Internet, it seems likely!

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
3. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Talk to Westjet as well and see what they say. I've always had great experiences with them, although I've always booked flights directly with them. I've never booked with Canadian Affair and have therefore not had the experiences you've unfortunately encountered.

ktown

Crawley, United...
4. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Just got back from Canada. I did not get my pre booked seats, I booked a set of tw and got shoved in to a set of three. When asking for a refund for the extra I paid I was told the seats were comparable and they would not refund me my money.

I have been using these people for some years and they were good when they used Air Transat, Thos. cook and I think, Monarch. Now they are owned by, or own Air transat and all flights are with one airline they are nowhere near as good as they used to be. They are still cheap but their latest planes seem to be cramming in more and more passengers. They also sell blankets, pillows, headphones and most of the drinks that you get offered when other airlines offer this for free. They do tell you that you can keep the stuff but that is just more clutt.

I would be prepared next time to pay a fair bit more for a better carrier, if I did fly Can. Aff. again I would certainley not pre-book any seating. I would also be prepared to be treated like rubbish.

I should say that the check in staff and flight crew were perfectly acceptable. The company policies seem to be the problem.

uk
reviews: 73
5. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

I should say that the check in staff and flight crew were perfectly acceptable. The company policies seem to be the problem.

Would those be the same company policies that are clearly set out in the T&Cs that you agree to at the time of booking?

UK
reviews: 84
6. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Yes, member of my family had a poor experience with them some years ago.

The key factor to me was was the policy they were enforcing, in direct contravention of EU rules, which to cut a long story short meant a relative of mine came very close to being bumped off the flight. Its one thing when a member of staff screws something up for whatever reason, but when the company actually institutes a rule that is against EU law, tahst another thing entirely.

As it happens, a last minute illness to one passenger meant the flight was not missed, however another couple who were subjected to the same policy did miss it.

I'd never use them again. Fool me once, etc.

Scotland
reviews: 11
7. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Purely for balance - a couple of very positive experiences with them here.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
8. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

I have flown once with Canadian Affair (on Thomas Cook) and various family members have too over the years. Apart from the unbelievably uncomfortable legroom and narrow seats - there were no problems.

In fact a flight back from MAN -> YYC a few years ago had the best afternoon tea/pre-arrival meal I have ever had on a plane. Simply yummy.

central scotland
reviews: 30
9. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

Just travelled gla to yyz return flights overall very good,one issue on outbound caused by passenger fainting after drinking on empty stomach which threw things out. Only other issue is to keep eye on aircraft used..

Will use them again though

10. Re: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, August 09, 2012

Reply to: Canadian Affair - anyone else had a bad experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted