We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 45
Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Ok this is a silly question. My daughter is planning on taking her razor scooter to Europe this summer. We originally planned on checking it in her suitcase, but I was thinking if we wrapped it in plastic/shrink wrap, do you think we could carry it on? It does collapse and is ultra lightweight. Just thought I would put it out there.

Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
1. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Will it fit inside the carry-on little sizer thingee? More and more, I"m seeing gate agents make passengers "prove it" before boarding the aircraft.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
2. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

IF it fits within the carryon size/wt. limits then there's no prob.

It will count as 1 carryon item so check the amount she is allowed to carry on by the airline.

I guess my question would be why bring it?

Edited: 11:37 am, February 12, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Yup, it will fit in a sizer.

Why bring it...... She is 7. She is staying with "Oma and Opa" for 8 days. No other kids around that are her age. They live in a small village on Austria. Just something to do ... Electronics, gardening and reading keep one busy for so long - lol.

Thanks all for the feedback

Chicago
reviews: 633
4. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Silly thought: if you are checking her luggage then put it in the luggage.

Why make the 7 year old struggle with a carry-on if luggage is being checked?

I think she will be glad to have her 'razor' to burn energy. Helmet?

She will have a memorable summer for sure :)

South Pole
reviews: 37
5. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

yes, a helmet will be necessary riding a razor around the cobblestone streets of an small austrian village ;-)

Dallas
reviews: 6
6. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

You daughter is a very lucky girl to have grandparents who live in Europe! Hope you all have fun!

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 26
7. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Definitely take the scooter - when our kids were younger they were invaluable for entertaining them and we took them on many holidays.

I wouldn't take it as carry on though. To me it seems far more useful to take things that you would need during your flight (ie snacks, a change of clothes, books or puzzles etc for entertainment on the plane and some basic toiletries) incase your luggage is lost or you are delayed in transit.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
8. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

My son used to take his scooter back and fore between ireland and Florida. he liked to take it as hand luggage as he used it around the airport too particulary Atlanta between terminals. Only on one occasion were we told it had to be checked as luggage as they said it could be used as a weapon. It came through safely without any wrapping or covering

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

Thanks all.... Just trying to reduce our number of bags. Great info!

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 3
10. Re: Childs razor scooter... Carry on?

What did you end up doing? I'm thinking of having my 7 year old son ride his scooter in the airport and then carry it on. We will be short on checked-in baggage space but i don't want to carry it through the airport, as we'll be pushing 2 strollers as well!