We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

London
reviews: 118
Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

There is no doubt their regional quality, and the expertise of their pilots, but their prices for mid-range flights are nearly 4 times more expensive than some of their full-service competitors.

I tried to dummy book HKG-SIN one way, and got a result of £479 for May 4. Even on the Singapore Airlines A380 I could do the same journey for HALF THE FARE OF CATHAY PACIFIC! Ridiculous.

Also, DPS-HKG is 4 times more expensive than Garuda AND EVEN Korean Air which would fly me to HKG via ICN with one leg on the brand new A380!

Unimpressed with CX pricing, tbh.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

They're probably just not pricing it as a oneway, not all airlines do. As a result you're paying a fully flexible fare.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Did you use CX's own website?

HKG-SIN on CX roundtrip typically costs around HKD2,000 or so when promoted. It's a very competitive route.

One ways are typically more expensive. Also, depending on what the rest of your journey look like, a good travel agent can get you better pricing.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
3. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

One-way tickets on their website are usually at the very expensive full fare price. I too always thought CX were ridiculously expensive (though friends have managed to get good deals in the past), until recently planning a short return trip, and their fares were very good. Their cheaper return fares often have a hefty no-show fee to discourage people only taking the one leg.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 42
4. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Unless you're booking ex-HKG (home market with passengers who are loyal to the airline, hence they charge a premium), CX is very competitive out of most other airports.

And I don't think it's a fair comparison. You need to look at comparable booking classes. I suspect that the CX one-way fares you're looking at are fully-flex Economy instead of discounted Economy for other airlines. cathaypacific.com isn't exactly user-friendly in this aspect.

Edited: 6:51 am, February 08, 2012
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Hi,

I tend to agree with #4 in that unless you're comparing the same fare CLASS, while it may still be a Y-cabin fare, there can be a huge fare differential and the comparison of a CX "H" or "M" fare will seem far more expensive than a "T" similar highly restrictive econ fare from SQ.

but I would agree that CX does not tend to be widely known as a price-competitive carrier from the standpoint of being known as aggressive pricing models to the same extent that a carrier like China Airlines (CI) is known... but I don't think that any carrier today can afford to be wildly priced out of the market..

Yes, CX prices their home market differently than a non-hub market, but that reflects the realities of "hub and fortress" pricing realities.. but I do think that OUTside of these hubs, carriers must still play the game of being price competitive-- within the fare classes they offer-- as I just don't see a carrier surviving a long time by intentionally pricing themselves significantly above 'the market' in non-hub line cities.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 7:18 am, February 08, 2012
UK
reviews: 84
6. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Watch out Clackers, seems you might not be flying your beloved A380 anyway if they are taking them out of service to duct tape up the wings. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16942361

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
7. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Seems expensive one way, I looked at them earlier on in the year for flights to Denpasar from LHR and for return was coming back with about £570.... so for one way seems a bit pricey.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

Seems expensive one way, I looked at them earlier on in the year for flights to Denpasar from LHR and for return was coming back with about £570.... so for one way seems a bit pricey.

Although to be pedantic you're not comparing like for like. Flight prices aren't based on route length or anything like that, it's all based on what the airlines can charge. I've paid more for 100 mile each way flights than 2500 miles.

Chicago
reviews: 609
9. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

If their pricing is off in your mind you may simply want to book another airline. Perhaps I missed your point, but loyalty only goes so far if you are cost conscious.

I would book Singapore over Cathay anytime.

London
reviews: 118
10. Re: Anyone else find Cathay Pacific too expensive?

joeintheuk

It says only the older A380s would need to be looked at in the next 10 weeks. My flights will be booked from late April onwards, so I would probably be just in time to fly on them again.

And the newer A380s such as Korean Air's are totally unaffected by that annoucement anyway.

Get answers to your questions