We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free extra legroom for tall people?

Arcadia, California
reviews: 22
Free extra legroom for tall people?

cnn.com/2012/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

Moron. I'm allergic to coach, maybe I should demand the airlines put me in business or first free.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
2. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

I think Canada changed their laws so that "persons of size" can not be charged for a second seat. What next, people with irritated bowel syndrom get to sit in the lav for the whole flight?

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
3. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

Should tall people be expected to pay extra money for a seat they can comfortably sit in ?. Unlike fat people, its not their fault they need more room.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

Hi,

I hear where that guy is coming from.. but I also think there's second side to that equation..

If we, as a society at large. want to make it that tall people, or any classification of people are entitled by statute to something free, that the other who don't meet those standards pay for, this higher cost and forgone revenue WILL be made up and paid for by way of a small, but incremental cost in tickets to us all..

I'm not against it per se.. and see his point.. but I think that much like it is with most all other "regulations".. it's great to pass them-- makes us all feel better-- but I think that the "other side" needs to get equal play, and that other-side is the costs to comply, and who will ultimately bear those costs.

Travel Safe,

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
5. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

"Unlike fat people, its not their fault they need more room."

That's an unfair generalization. There are people that are overweight due to medical issues.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

There isnt a medical condition that makes you swell up to the size two airline seats. yes some conditions can stop you losing weight but not become obese.

They still have to put the food in their mouth.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 187
7. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

I must say, as a tall person myself, I understand where he's coming from.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
8. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

Well without getting into where the fault lies - if an obese person is given a second seat for free then by the same reasoning a tall person should have an extra leg room seat for free also.

But I agree with GOPBI - someone somewhere has to pay for all this.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

As a short person, I therefore demand the $300 front row tickets for rock concerts for the price of the $50 ones at the back, as I can't see over all those tall people!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Midland, Austin
reviews: 8
10. Re: Free extra legroom for tall people?

I'm claustraphobic and "germaphobic" and can't abide anyone sitting within 10 feet of me on a plane, especially screaming children, and I have a nut allergy. I require extra overhead bin space for all of my meds and medical equipment and must have cell access while in flight so I can contact my doctor if needed. These are my rights and I demand them.

I'm of average height weight and don't take up much space and demand to be compensated for subsidzing people who require more space than I do. And I don't eat much. I cost the airlines less than other people.

./ snarky sarcasm mode off

Edited: 8:15 pm, January 13, 2012