We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Great Barrington...
reviews: 34
Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I am kind of new to the BA Executive Club and I am finding their website and rewards program to be one of the most confusing and frustrating exercises I have ever gone through.

Am I imagining things or are others having this experience?

173 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Hard to say without more details about what you're trying to do that you are having trouble with. The map you can use to explore availability is unnecessarily complicated (and seems to crash frequently on both my home and work computer) but if you know where you're going just do dummy-bookings with your points to find out if seats are available.

Edited: 10:30 am, January 03, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Have used Avios a few times since the November changes and no changes or difficulties here as far as I'm concerned.

uk
reviews: 73
3. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I find it quite straight forward too.

What are you having problems with?

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I find the opposite.Going home from the US shortly.MFU'd to First.One simple click on the computer.

Great Barrington...
reviews: 34
5. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

I must be using the wrong link on the website. I cannot seem to find a flight from JFK to CDG that will just let me fly with Avios points. It wants to charge me a fee (comparable to the cost of the flight without points) PLUS about 50,000 Avios points.

I guess what I am asking is where is the link where I can book with just Avios points and no other fees?

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
6. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

You now always have to pay something.....not booked with Avios points as yet, so not entirely sure what's being charged.

uk
reviews: 73
7. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Unfortunatley you have just found the truth about frequent flier programmes.

You always have to pay any taxes and fees associated with the 'free' flight.

On EC tickets, these can be pretty comparable to the cost of a revenue ticket unfortunately, as you have found!

The best value use of Avios points is to but a WT+ ticket and upgrade to Club using points on long haul flights or to book short notice, short haul EC tickets where the base fare is much higher.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

You always have to pay the relevant fees + taxes. The only cost waived when using points is the base fare, which for economy tickets is often a fraction of the total price.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
9. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

Waste of time using points for economy......we always keep them for long haul flights and business class

Scotland
reviews: 11
10. Re: Booking BA flights with Avios Points

BA miles are generally not good for Y redemptions - as you've found out.

Reply to: Booking BA flights with Avios Points
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted