We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Fife
reviews: 20
UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Hi there,

As far as I'm aware the following UK Airports have smoking facilities airside (ie post security)

East Midlands Manchester Prestwick Newcastle

Can anyone add to the list ?

nyc
reviews: 24
1. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Check out www.smokingtransit.com

Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 28
2. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Bristol

Fife
3. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Thanks for the tip but this site seems in it's infancy and does not contain much information about UK Airports.

Fife
4. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

I wonder why some of the larger Airports like Heathrow,Gatwick,Edinburgh etc are unable to provide a similar service for smokers.

An extensive delay airside with no smoking facilities is my own personal nightmare.

These outdoor outlets don't impinge on anyone elses "personal space"

Perhaps the Government could fund them out of the profit they make on smokers ( it's £billions even after deducting the cost of NHS smoking related treatment costs)

nyc
5. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

It's not that the larger airports can't provide a smoking room, the nannies won't allow it. Most people probably wouldn't mind reasonable accommodations being made for smokers, but it's the vocal minority of militant anti-smokers who are setting the policies, and they delight in demeaning those of us who choose to indulge in a still-legal act.

Fife
6. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

Thanks for that Mike.

In the UK the smoking facility would have to be an outdoor area (UK Law) but some have managed to provide it in the form of a bar or cafe with a terrace and even what can only be described as a "cage" at East Midlands Airport (better than nothing !!)

I agree with you about the vocal minority of militant anti-smokers (the biggest irony is that half of them are ex-smokers)

Live and let Live I say if a facility can be provided that does not impinge on non-smokers airspace (pun not intended) everyone will be happy ??

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 38
7. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

They probably reckon if you can go on a long-haul flight without a smoke for 12 + hours, you can probably manage for a shorter period on the ground.

Nicotine gum or tabs are the answer..... :-)

Fife
8. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

I only fly 12 hours ciggie less because there is no choice.

On the ground it is easier to provide a smoking facility than 35,000 feet in the air...

What about the "baggage hold bar " !!!

nyc
9. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

What about allowing smoking in one of the lavatories on an airplane, and charging smokers to use that one. That would be a fee I'd be happy to pay; but good luck getting Nanny to agree. And I remember Heathrow having smoking areas as late as 2005, what was the point of tearing them out when they were already there? Oh, that's right, Nanny didn't like them.

UK
reviews: 77
10. Re: UK Airports with Smoking Area Airside

<<And I remember Heathrow having smoking areas as late as 2005, what was the point of tearing them out when they were already there?>>

They would have been against the law, would have been the point.