We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

Melbourne, Australia
Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

A warning when paying baggage fees. I recently had to purchase a checked baggage allowance after I had already booked my flight ticket. The contrast between Virgin and Jetstar was like black and white; with Jetstar failing miserably for being sneaky and deceptive (one leg of my flight was with each airline).

Adding checked baggage (not excess baggage) with Virgin was dead easy. I just went on line and everything was clearly set out and I got it added to my ticket for $12.50 in quick time.

Jetstar was the opposite. Jetstar's website warns you that you will be charged (dramatically) higher fees if you check in your luggage at the airport and that you should pay for your baggage beforehand. The trouble is their website does not have a link to anywhere for you to buy a baggage allowance if you already have a flight ticket. They do supply a phone number for you to call but, surprise, surprise, that number only leads you to a recorded message which just tells you what the baggage limits are without any means via which you can actually pay for the allowance.

This means that passengers are left with NO option other than to pay the exorbitant $80 baggage fee at the airport. Even their staff at the airport told me it was a rip-off which seemed to be deliberate entrapment.

As you could expect from a company which uses such tactics, they handled my complaint with avoidance and further inconvenience. Firstly, after a significant delay, they replied with baggage information which was completely irrelevant to my complaint, then after I refused to be fobbed off they sent me a refund via a $50 voucher which had to be used within 3 months. As if I will be flying with a company that treats its customers like lemmings! Jetstar should learn how to treat its customers from Virgin.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
51. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

Well the video very clearly states that if you add baggage on line, by telephone etc it needs to be done BEFORE check in opens.

And Jag if you refuse to watch the video it can hardly be Jetstars fault if you are not fully informed. The information is there and very clearly explained.

australia
reviews: 17
52. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

well I'm sorry but that video is useless and only caters for those with a good command of the English language and 100% retention capability of the spoken word.

Having to stop start roll back listen again to even vaguely think you heard right is ridiculous.

Firstly it states as I heard you are charged a FLAT FEE for $20kgs at the airport if you have not purchased baggage ahead of time but

the pax was charged 15kg excess baggage rates, which If I understand is applicable when connecting to international flights not internal domestic flights which

I think I heard on the video after having to listen to business class rates and group bookings first which hsve nothing to do with what I am buying.

I also note there is nothing that states exactly what this 20kg flat rate is and doesn't' mention 2 hours either

Edited: 2:11 am, April 21, 2013
53. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

I was seriously freaking out after all this negative comments about jetstar pacific. Also forgot to add extra baggage while buying a ticket+ had some problems with check in online.so i went to HCMC airport just hoping that it gonna be fine. There was no problem to check in on the airport,they charged me only 25$ for 18kg luggage. It's still quite a lot but much better than i expected. Also i sneaked two pieces of hand bags, one of them was 10 kg (you are allowed to take one bag max 7 kg)and the lady from jet star didn't say anything. Maybe i was lucky or it' s much more easier with domestic flights. Good luck to you guys!

54. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, June 26, 2013
55. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, June 26, 2013
56. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

They are scam. I tried to book online but the website is error and i made book via phone. They said its 270 us and convert to aus 297,i checked my bank they took $334. I made complait and they said when book via phone they charge $30 wow thats alot and i told them ididnt know about that.because they didnt tell me from the first. They should be no charge at all. Seriuosly to serve the customer they charge$30 ?? Is not suppose to be free?? Jetstar is SCAM

57. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 05, 2013
Perth
58. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

When I booked a flight las May with Jetstar and later signed in to "my bookings " I added the plus package, baggage and intertaient , No problem. But know the link is closed and the phone centre give the story that will look into it but can help you book the extra but you can only add the package by paying a rebooking fee plus upgrade fee then you can add the package. What a rip off

59. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

Removed on: 9:05 am, November 08, 2013
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
reviews: 9
60. Re: Jetstar - beware of their luggage fees scam

The biggest problem I find with JQ is that the online booking system is poorly designed and can be confusing. And because of that, I think you need some understanding of how JQ markets it's services ( and that should not be required). It's best to work out want you need, before accepting the online booking, and any subsequent changes should be avoided. It's also worth checking the optioned up fare cost with the Qantas cost (may be similar).

Edited: 4:09 pm, November 08, 2013