We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern Airlines...

Blighty!
reviews: 4
China Southern Airlines...

Hello there fellow peoples!

Just a quick and simple question for you...

Does China Southern provide a hotel/accommodation for layovers longer than certain period? - As last year when I travelled with Asiana there was a free hotel or a tour of Seoul for layovers longer than 8 hours..

Whether or not this is the case with other carriers I do not know.

Thanks,

Tom

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 43
1. Re: China Southern Airlines...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298555-i3651-k419…

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 20
2. Re: China Southern Airlines...

Never take China Southern. Awful experience! They cancelled our flights three times, then the flights we took were over four hours delayed. No apologies at any time. Wasted so much of our trip dealing with China Southern about the flight issues.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 90
3. Re: China Southern Airlines...

I would pay a little more and go with a decent airline.

You get what you pay for in life, in the case of China Southern it not a lot.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 129
4. Re: China Southern Airlines...

Yes it does for layovers of 8 hours or more. But there is a catch!!!! You need a Chinese visa and whether you get is or not is left up to the Border official. We were told no point blank three times. I even tried to get the China Southern contact to plead our case and she was scared tondo so! If there is an overnight stay you will definitely get the visa but because webwerebdeniednthenvisabwe were stuck in the terminal forn8 bloody hours!

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: China Southern Airlines...

Yes it does for layovers of 8 hours or more. But there is a catch!!!! You need a Chinese visa and whether you get is or not is left up to the Border official. We were told no point blank three times. I even tried to get the China Southern contact to plead our case and she was scared tondo so! If there is an overnight stay you will definitely get the visa but because webwerebdeniednthenvisabwe were stuck in the terminal forn8 bloody hours!

6. Re: China Southern Airlines...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, May 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 44
7. Re: China Southern Airlines...

Plirrand,

You have your own thread about this matter.

Is there really any need to dig up a 2 year old thread to restate your case?

Melbourne, Australia
8. Re: China Southern Airlines...

Allegedly this is supposed to be the case with China Southern. We had an 8 hour layover but were refused entry because, for reasons best known to officials, our temporary visa was refused. The China Southern assistant was afraid of the official and did not plead our case so we were stick in the terminal. Perhaps ap the temporary visa rules have changed but the promise we were made by China Southern depended on approval. Good luck

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: China Southern Airlines...

>> Perhaps ap the temporary visa rules have changed ... <<

No, the rules have NOT changed in respect of Guangzhou. AFAIK the rules have never allowed anyone to enter the PRC at CAN, so I suspect the airline sponsored hotel has always been at the discretion of the immigration officer.

Things have changed at Beijing and Shanghai where citizens of 45 countries can how have visa free transit for 72 hours, provided they are on international to international itineraries and transiting to a third country. Shanghai previously had a 48 hour transit.

chinadaily.com.cn/china/…content_16075033.htm

travelchinaguide.com/embassy/…faq.htm

But, again this does NOT apply to transit at Guangzhou (CAN) and so pax wishing to go airside should obtain their own visas in advance.

Edited: 12:23 am, May 05, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
10. Re: China Southern Airlines...

If you can get another airline for roughly the same price I would'nt go with China Southern but check out the reviews on the airlinequality website.

ww.airlinequality.com