We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Executive Club

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 51
British Airways Executive Club

I am thinking of joining the British Airways Executive Club.

In order to join you need to complete your personal information (name, address, date of birth, e-mail address etc). As far as I can see the website is not on a secure connection, (no lock at the top of the page).

britishairways.com/travel/…en_us

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies.

57 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 55
1. Re: British Airways Executive Club

Phone them and let them know?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 269
2. Re: British Airways Executive Club

When I sign into my account I can see a lock at the top of the page !

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: British Airways Executive Club

Indeed, signing in to the account is via a secure link but registering isn't at a secure page. Welshtraveller, you could call BA at 0191 490 7901 and ask to register over the phone if you don't want to give that info on an insecure webpage.

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: British Airways Executive Club

Try this

https:/…en_us

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 51
5. Re: British Airways Executive Club

Thanks all, think registering over the phone is the best option. Thanks again.

SF Bay Area
reviews: 16
6. Re: British Airways Executive Club

I do not recommend British Airways Executive Club for travel benefits, even though I like flying BA. I have belonged to the BA Executive Club for 15 years through my Visa credit card. I am going to discontinue as soon as I redeem my points. (If I ever get to!)

First reason: I can NEVER use my points to get flights or to get upgrades. With one exception, every time I have tried in the past 15 years, there have been no seats available and they tell me I have to plan a year in advance. I rarely plan that far in advance. But this time I am a year out, and today, 355 days in advance (their limit), I tried to book flights and there are no seats available to LHR! I called customer service and they suggested checking back every day because all the seats haven't been released yet. (And why should I have to do that? Call everyday to see if I get lucky enough to redeem the points I've earned.)

Well, OK, once we redeemed points for flights several years ago, but we had to hopscotch our way from California to Newark to Kennedy to London to Athens to Turkey, wherever seats were available, and we'll never do that again. Exhausting and time consuming, and lots of security checks.

Second reason: My annual fee for the Visa card has increased gradually from 0 to $90!

I've switched to a credit card where points can be redeemed on any airline for any date. And right now there is no annual fee.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
7. Re: British Airways Executive Club

I've switched to a credit card where points can be redeemed on any airline for any date. And right now there is no annual fee.

----------

Which is extremely poor value compared to BAEC redemptions. Personally I find few issues with redeeming my BA miles if I have some element of flexibility in terms of class of travel or dates (within a day or two)

uk
reviews: 73
8. Re: British Airways Executive Club

Ditto, with a bit of flexibility I've always managed to redeem my points.

Andvof course, as a frequent flier, the real advantage of BAEC membership is tier status providing fast track boarding and security, lounge access, additional baggage allowance etc.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
9. Re: British Airways Executive Club

"there have been no seats available and they tell me I have to plan a year in advance"

That's not really true. Seats can open up at any time, and often more seats are released as the departure dates grow closer. Being flexible and checking often is much more important than planning a year in advance in my experience.

I don't know which airport you travel from but assuming it's SFO, there are seats in CW to London available on several days up until December and after that there are seats available on several days every week.

UK
reviews: 85
10. Re: British Airways Executive Club

I called customer service and they suggested checking back every day because all the seats haven't been released yet. (And why should I have to do that? Call everyday to see if I get lucky enough to redeem the points I've earned.)

----

You don't have to CALL but yes you may have to LOOK on the website every day. I hope you are looking for club or first class since there is no point redeeming for economy with BA due to the fuel surcharge (I'm just trying to preempt the next inevitable whinge)

You can also look for seats on partner airlines, in particular American for economy since they don't have the fuel surcharge,if you find availability on those, then you may have to ring to book.

I find it puzzling when people in the US report that they find no availability on these schemes when I am in the UK and can get availability from here to places in the US via mid way points in the US, they are already there and yet can't find what is only half the trip, and omitting a transatlantic journey.

I had a correspondence with someone in the US recently who was complaining there was no availability to "anywhere" yet a 2 minute look showed availability in every month from two to six months out to Hawaii, which is about as highly contested an FF venue as you can get.

What you do have to have is flexibility, you set your holiday dates to meet the availability. If you decide , "in six months time I'll fly on dates x and y" you may well find nothing. If you decide "sometime in the next 6-11 months I'll travel" then you almost certainly will.

Reply to: British Airways Executive Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted