We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

london
reviews: 1
name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

Hi all,

I mistyped my name on a Ryan air flight I have booked.

It should read GROVER and I typed GROVR by accident.

Do i really have to pay the £100 to complete a name change or should I just hope for the best and do nothing?

I haven't checked in online yet, I wonder could I change it then?

many thanks

I thought someone here might know the answer - thanks in advance.

174 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
1. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

You could gamble and do nothing, but then you might be forced to buy a new ticket at the airport with the correct name. Give them a call and see what they say, I wouldn't expect them to be sympathetic as they didn't make the mistake.

I know it's too late now for you now, but this shows why it is important to double check you have entered all your details correctly before you submit.

Europe
reviews: 6
2. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

Recently a neighbour asked me to book a Ryanair flight and when I printed off the boarding pass I realised I spelt his first name wrong - Patrrick instead of Patrick. Anyway he got to his destination ok without any issues!!!! (it was a one way flight)

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

Quite a few people have reported unexpectedly sympathetic treatment from RA when phoning in with such requests, eg obvious typos rather than an actual name change

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
4. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

"Quite a few people have reported unexpectedly sympathetic treatment from RA when phoning in with such requests, eg obvious typos rather than an actual name change"

Why unexpected sympathetic treatment? And what is an obvious typo? How do FR know how someone spells their name when there are different combinations/spellings of lots of names.

To me it is the responsibility of the pax who is entering their details at the time of booking to ensure they are correct. You do get the opportunity to check them before you confirm the booking.

london
reviews: 1
5. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

thanks for your replies.

I think I'll ring them to make sure (if I get through!) I won't pay the name change fee though.

"And what is an obvious typo? How do FR know how someone spells their name when there are different combinations/spellings of lots of names."

In this instance, sunmagic, there are several of us going with the surname Grover and only one is spelt wrong.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

>>How do FR know how someone spells their name when there are different combinations/spellings of lots of names.

I guess they don't but what is the chance that a passenger wants to transfer a ticket to a friend who happens to have the exact same first name and an almost identical last name? Surely it's pretty miniscule.

Easyjet will change typos for free as well.

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

<<Why unexpected sympathetic treatment?>>

Because its Ryanair, usually notorious for charging for everything, yet in many cases reported here, RA have been better than the 'majors' in case of minor spelling corrections.

<<And what is an obvious typo?>>

A minor spelling correction, for example one where only a single letter is missing or duplicated,(as in the OP's case) rather than a full name change. Thus its obvious that the person entering the name made a simple mistake *when they call in and ask for a change*.

<<How do FR know how someone spells their name when there are different combinations/spellings of lots of names.">>

They don't. Why do you think my response indicated they should know?

<<To me it is the responsibility of the pax who is entering their details at the time of booking to ensure they are correct. >>

To me also. Why do you think my response indicated it wasn't?

The fact its the customers responsibility doesn't mean an organisation should not show a little leeway or goodwill in such cases.

Edited: 6:19 am, May 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
8. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

Slightly off topic, but I thought this experience of mine may be an example of why you should never hesitate to ask for help from an airline.

I booked a flight with Australia's Jetstar (not as notorious as Ryanair about charging for everything, but not known for a lot of sympathy for late-arriving pax, overweight luggage, etc).

Having selected the date of my flight, I must have rolled the track-wheel on the computer mouse while the 'month' field was still selected. My booking for 30 March moved to 30 April.

I completed the booking without noticing the wrong date, printed out the boarding pass and got on with my morning's work. Looked at it a few hours later and realised my error. Called Jetstar in a panic, prepared to pay a rebooking fee - hesitantly asked if they would waive the fee, and the phone consultant said "of course, it's an easy mistake to make".

While I understand that you may have done this booking some days ago, and Ryanair is not renowned for being sympathetic, but don't hold back. As they say, if you don't ask, you don't get...

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
9. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

Joe, you mentioned obvious typos in post three. How do Ryanair know that the difference between Lea/Leah for example is a typo. That is one example, there are countless other names too. Then you have the transliteration of Arabic names into English too.

It's not for me to say the airline should or shouldn't charge, but it's written in their T&C's that there's a charge. Again I'll say the pax gets a chance to review all entered details before they proceed with payment.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking

>>How do Ryanair know that the difference between Lea/Leah for example is a typo.

As Joe said, they don't but a bit of common sense goes a long way.

Reply to: name spelling mistake on Ryanair booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted