We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

Moremi Game...
reviews: 2
Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

Does anyone know what the general airlines policy is for using electronic cigarettes on-board aircraft ?

I've recently read that NY is going to be the first city to ban them in public , dont know if that going ahead.

If you havent seen these things heres a wiki link -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

just wondering how cabin crew and fellow passengers would react to these , as they look very realistic in use , but only give off vapour and not smoke , no smell either.

Technically it's not a cigarette and contains no tobbacco and nicotine amounts are claimed to be the same or lower than a patch.

just wondering ... :)

102 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

Do a search and you'll pull up previous discussions. The US Department of Transportation is going to issue a ban of their use on planes.

Edited: 10:28 am, May 22, 2011
UK
reviews: 77
2. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

<<just wondering how cabin crew and fellow passengers would react to these .>

Come across, punch you in the face,and then say "sorry I dint realise it wasnt a real cigarette".

I suppose its not surprising that some smokers (not sure if you fall into this category) feel its OK to puff clouds of water vapour containing nicotine* over someone ? On the grounds its less harmful that exhaling carcinogens over them maybe?

As per above post, they will be outlawed soon in general. Ryanair which sells them on board according to posts here, does allow them from what I've read.

*(It will of course for sure have nicotine in unless you have trick lungs which can breathe in vapour cotaining nicotine but not exhale any)

South London
reviews: 99
3. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

On a recent Virgin flight they stated they ban the use of E-cigerettes and even ask that you not have an unlit cigerette either - found highly amusing.

Take it to the bathroom - I don't think it'd set it off.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

"Take it to the bathroom - I don't think it'd set it off."

Don't bet on it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
5. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

""Take it to the bathroom - I don't think it'd set it off."

I sure hope it DOES set it off. There are a number of reasons why taking it to the bathroom is rude and inconsiderate ( even if it doesn't set off the "smoke" detector. a. you will leave nicotine in the bathroom air which many would rather not breathe and b. the number of restrooms is limited. People who need to us the restroom for the reason it was designed are waiting outside while you.....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 50
6. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

"Take it to the bathroom- I don't think it'd set it off.''

I tell you will be in handcuffs if there is a Marshall on board or a passenger might take matters in his own hands.

7. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:55 am, September 10, 2013

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 145
8. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

You need to drink to stay alive, you don't need to smoke to stay alive. Smoking is unhealthy and unnecessary.

Going on a long haul flight should be the perfect opportunity to quit smoking.

South London
reviews: 99
9. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

"You need to drink to stay alive"

Not gin ya dont!

Earth
reviews: 1
10. Re: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?

You don't need to drink coffee or other simulants or drugs.

You have water and i will not want to smoke

See how many thing that is good for a long haul

Reply to: Airline policy - electronic Cigarettes ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted