We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines?

Washington, Virginia
Turkish Airlines?

I just made a post about airfare.com, but I have a different question, anyone flown Turkish Air? I will be flying from Washington, DC to Istanbul and lots of good rates are offered on Turkish air, which to be flying to Turkey sounds good...but just wondering if anyone could share.

Thanks so much!

-Belle

100 replies to this topic
orangeville
reviews: 8
31. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Turkish Airlines update: Good news. Just received confirmation after sending all of the required documentation that they will write me a cheque for the expenses that I incurred in order to retrieve our luggage. Also note that I had accidentally booked the wrong day on one of our many internal return flights during our stay and booked the correct one minutes afterwards. I phoned immediately from here but agent said they could refund it but it would only be a 7 dollar difference after the penalties were paid, so it was not worth the hassle as the internal flights were a real bargain to begin with. However, when we were in Kayseri at their airport desk, they credited me the full flight amount right then and there for that extra flight. Certainly was not expecting that, and I doubt if any other airline would have given you a cash/cc refund for this, no voucher and no penalty. Can't complain about their follow-up on customer service after an incident. Will definitely use Turkish Airlines for future travels!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
32. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Thank you Orangeville for returning to the forum to report the end of your experience with Turkish Airlines. Somehow there seems to be a bit of a language breakdown at times with Turkish Air, but in the end they always seem to come through with a proper response. I am glad this worked out well for you.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
33. Re: Turkish Airlines?

The website needs more work, I tried to book a flight the same day of my flight to Vietnam and I can see all the seats on the plane and choose one, while for my reservation made months ago no way to get a set until 1 week before departure.

It seems the various part of the ticketing systems works with different schedule...

Istanbul
reviews: 14
34. Re: Turkish Airlines?

I was looking for some recent information on experiences with THY (Turkish Airlines) in relation to issues with damaged baggage, as we are experiencing what I can only describe as an unacceptable and arrogant attitude by THY.

Having had a suitcase damagaed by the airline while travelling back from Antalya to Istanbul last September (2012) and us chasing them to sort the issue out after 5 months, we were told (roughly translated) that: "...we will not compensate you for the damaged bag as we think it is reparable" - despite their ground staff seeing the damage when we collected the bag at the baggage collection and the THY staff saying it was unacceptable and should be replaced!

I have flown THY for a number of years (Elite Plus member) and frankly find their attitude unacceptable. It's enough to make me take my business elsewhere.

Sure, we could claim on our travel insurance - but why we should we? It's the principle of the matter and an issue about how valued they make you feel as a loyal customer - and they fail.

As someone else commented "Europe's Best Airline, this is a bad joke".

Playa Blanca...
reviews: 12
35. Re: Turkish Airlines?

DONT DO IT!

We flew with TA FEB 2013 and were disgusted. (Flight TK64 delayed so flew TK0068 from Istanbul to Bangkok - 04/02/13)

Delay after delay. Seated apart from my boyfriend for a 9.5 hr flight. Rude staff, unelpful and very unfriendly. Luckily a young man swapped seats as the staff refused to even look into the issue nor offer assistance in any way.

We had over a 6hr delay in the airport. Were lied to by staff at the transit desk (just to save money so they didnt have to pay for a hotel or food for us)

We will never use them again and we would both say the worst first impresion any large airline has ever made on us - no wonder they need to use huge sporting figures and spend such a great deal on their advertising campaigns. I dont know who is being questioned as part of Skytrax's surveys..... but I don't believe the awards are unbiased at all. Dont believe me - take a look at the mouthshut.com reviews

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
36. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Complete opposite to how I have found them on the several times I have flown them.

Always found them to be clean, on time and staff who have always been pleasant enough.

I think when things go wrong there arent many airlines who do as much as we expect of them. In this aspect they sound like many other airlines, although I ve never had issue.

My flights have all been short haul. So can't speak about their longhaul product.

:-)

znojmo
reviews: 12
37. Re: Turkish Airlines?

just returned last week from 4 flights on Turkish, Prague to istanbul to Mumbai return with my family of 4. Brilliant airline. Couldn,t fault them one bit. Food was the best i,ve ever had in economy, comfort was good, staff friendly and attentive.pretty much on time on all 4 flights. Skytrax European airline of the year 2 years running, deserved from my experience.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
38. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Only flew them on one round trip from IST to ORD and it was great.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
reviews: 69
39. Re: Turkish Airlines?

I flew with them 12 times on short distance OTP - IST - OTP and 2 times on intercontinental flights IST - HKG - IST. I totally recommend them, they are one of the best airlines in Europe and I found service better than Lufthansa, Air France or Austrian. On long-haul flights we had a very good meal, great IFE and we received also socks, toothbrush and toothpaste.

Market Harborough...
reviews: 2
40. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Turkish Airlines speak Turkish I would presume. It is rather arrogant to expect perfect English. Do leading US carriers speak perfect Turkish or even Turkish?

Reply to: Turkish Airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted