We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines?

Washington, Virginia
Turkish Airlines?

I just made a post about airfare.com, but I have a different question, anyone flown Turkish Air? I will be flying from Washington, DC to Istanbul and lots of good rates are offered on Turkish air, which to be flying to Turkey sounds good...but just wondering if anyone could share.

Thanks so much!

-Belle

85 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Again, do a search here, lots of thread talking about Turkish Airlines. Or, you could do a google search.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 210
2. Re: Turkish Airlines?

There are some good reports on Turkish, especially transat/longhaul with their new aircraft especially in premium class's.

I have only flown economy within Europe and I was impressed.

Why not look at

www.airlinequality.com

or

www.flyertalk.com

and look under FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airline Programs>Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
3. Re: Turkish Airlines?

I haven't flown TK, but most people agree that onboard service and especially food are very good. The downer is their customer service - not so good. Equipment is new and beautiful - I believe they fly the A333 from IAD to IST and ORD-IST, and the B77W on other routes such as LAX-IST and JFK-IST.

New York
reviews: 54
4. Re: Turkish Airlines?

I flew Turkish Air from Cairo to IST and then IST to Lisbon during the volcanic ash situation last year. The inflight service was excellent. We then decided to go back to Istanbul in Oct and flew JFK to IST. The plane was roomier than Continental international flights. We also flew Turkish air with in Turkey and it was the best. The only problem we had was with Continental crediting the miles from Turkish Air. We paid a low fare $691 r/t and according to CO's rules it did not qualify. If you are looking to post miles be sure to check with carrier before hand.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Hi,

I've flown TK twice-- both times BKK-IST v.v and they've been very good.. Again, nothing that really super special to make me stand up and take notice, but nothing that I'd rate as an overt failure either..

Food was good-- again, it's my opinion in economy, it's about basic food and getting fed. per se, and food really is a very personal thing.. one man's poison can be another's feast..

Cabin service was good-- properly staffed and well laid out service plan.. but with cabin service it is very dependent on the dozen or so specific crew members that are on your flight that day.

Aircraft itself was well maintained inside and in good overall repair..

Overall, I'd rate them a solid carrier.. If you get a TK flight and at a discount compared to others, then I'd say you got a pretty good deal, all things considered..

Travel Safe,

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
6. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Haven't done long haul, but have flown Turkish domestically in Turkey. It was a fantastic experience - great service, efficient systems, clean and new aircraft, etc. Similarly we had great experiences in all the airports in Turkey (four of them including both Istanbul airports).

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 37
7. Re: Turkish Airlines?

Flown then LHR to Capetown via Istanbul and was very happy with their service overall. Pleasant cabin crew and decent meals. Would fly them again.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
8. Re: Turkish Airlines?

yep we flew Turkish from Aleppo Syria to Istanbul and then from Istanbul to Athens in 2009. We were very happy with them.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
9. Re: Turkish Airlines?

They are an excellent airline. Food, amenities, cabin service, and equipment are all much superior to the airline we normally use because of our loyalty program. I have never had a problem with customer service but I have never had a serious issue that required lots of management. We get some reports that they are difficult to manage, particularly in countries outside of Turkey.

Last year they would not accept our B of A credit card because of some issue about fraud, but our second credit card was fine. If I do need information from them I let my husband speak to them in Turkish. It seems to be a language issue more than a customer service issue.

I would fly them every time, especially those non-stops from the US to Istanbul.

Washington DC...
reviews: 5
10. Re: Turkish Airlines?

My experience is limited to Turkish Airlines from DC to Istanbul then onwards to Mumbai. I would not recommend Turkish Airlines for a number of reasons: (a) aircraft from BOM-IST is old, and has few amenities; IST-JFK aircraft was much better (b) staff barely speaks English (c) food is awful, really, really awful (d) connecting time to US flight was very short and connection was a bit stressful (e) limited flights from IST required us to fly into JFK (versus DC), adding an additional six hours to an already long flight. We got what we paid for, in short. Of course, we saved ourselves from the European connection and the winter disruptions by flying Turkish, and many of the Western carriers have awful seating, service and food as well. I would fly Emirates, Qatar or Jet Airways the next time, provided I can afford these high priced carriers. Again, this is a US-Asia experience. Others may have a US-Turkey experience, which is different.

Reply to: Turkish Airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted