We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is on your no-fly list?

Newcastle, Australia
Who is on your no-fly list?

No, not the list of "I'm never going to fly them again' that we get from first time ranters.

Interested to know if there are airlines you would never fly, either because of safety, price, previous experience etc.

For me, my list includes: Aeroflot, Garuda, Qantas International, majority of African airlines...and still others to come I'm sure.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
1. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Garuda has significantly improved in the last couple of years, and the EU ban has lifted. When in Indonesia, I will fly them as I don't feel safe on other carriers there.

I avoid AirAsia X (I tried them out, happy to save money in peak season but not happy to be so tired upon arrival. I like my comforts, so will pay more in future when there is often only a small difference after extras added up, long haul needs comfort), Qantas (some of the rudest people who are supposed to be in the service industry and represent their country) and carriers I have never flown but have read enough to avoid-- Aeroflot being one of them. Chinese airlines such as China Southern are flyable but I would only fly them again if there was nothing else available.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
2. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Any Low Cost Carrier.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
3. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

NO - ONE is on a "no fly" list for me.

Have flown with heaps of LCCs around Europe . Have flown with heaps of small and very small airlines in Central and South America. Will fly with another heap of small local airlines in Africa this year.

We just want to get there for the best possible price and in the shortest possible time - so whoever gets us that gets our money. Getting from A- B for us is not the story. BEING there is.

Qantas for instance is far from our favourite airline and for a few years we refused to fly with them because they were always always always late- but now if they are the cheapest (almost never) and have the most suitable schedule we will fly with them too.

And apart from lateness which almost without exception has been with legacy carriers such as Qantas and Air Canada we have never ever had problem.

Edited: 8:14 pm, February 19, 2011
Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 23
4. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

any flight that is owned or operted by Mesa Airlines

Edited: 8:47 pm, February 19, 2011
Auckland Region...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

I wont fly with the Virgin group again.

Sad to say but i will avoid my national carrier Air NZ where possible and will only fly them if they are the only option available to me such as a domestic flight from Auckland to a regional NZ Airport. On the other hand love Air Asia & Air Asia X

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
6. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Alaska

Garuda (yes, I know they've improved)

Cathay Pacific (I hold a grudge)

Spirit

Alitalia

Aeroflot

Of course there are a whole bunch of under-regulated Indonesian and African airlines I won't go near.

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 4
7. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Here's my list:

Jet star: always late!

Tiger airways: chaotic check-in at the airport.

Qantas: the sh*test customer service in the world. I was even downgraded to economy from premium economy once. No contact made in advance, no apology. Check-in and help desk staff were stuck-up. Unbelievable and speechless.

JAL premium economy: very unconfirtable to sleep! not worth paying extra.

Cathay pacific economy : always something wrong with my seat. Broken armrest, broken entertainment system, can't recline the seat etc...

and more to be added on in the future.

Edited: 1:44 am, February 20, 2011
Hobart, Australia
reviews: 4
8. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

oops...sorry. there was a typo in my comment above.

"unconfirtable'' =>uncomfortable

Australia
reviews: 28
9. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Tas7000

Doesn't leave you a lot of choices for domestic Australia..............what will you do when virgin blue inevitably make your list :-)

London, United...
10. Re: Who is on your no-fly list?

Alitalia, late, rude staff, old dirty planes