We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just how bad are Aeroflot

london
reviews: 26
Just how bad are Aeroflot

At the moment flights to Hong Kong for October/November are about £600.

Aeroflot have a flight at less than £400.

Just how bad are they ?

128 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 126
1. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

I had the same question. I am flying to HKG from Europe soon.

I looked at www.airlinequality.com/Forum/aeroflot.htm and this answered my question!

Ended up booking with Qatar Airways-- only slightly more expensive (about US$500) than Aeroflot, and it included only a short stopover in Doha. I've heard terrible things about transiting in Moscow Airport, ans the flights we looked at involved 8-10 hours there.

In the end, up to you, depends how much you're prepared to save versus how much comfort and peace of mind you wish to have.

Newcastle, Australia
2. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

They are known as Aeroflop for a reason. I have them on my never-to-fly list.

A few years ago during JAL's pilot strike, I was going to be rebooked from Tokyo to Europe on Aeroflot. I said no way and the best route was via USA, which I would have taken rather than a direct flight with Aeroflot. Fortunately I was able to get a seat with ANA in the end.

NYC
reviews: 38
3. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

OMG

Get flight insurance for sure.

I would not fly them in a million years

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
4. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

You will probably need a visa just to transit in Moscow - which is anything but straight forward to get (as I'm discovering right now for myself)

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Those continuing their journey within 24 hours without leaving the airside (international) transit area:

- if continuing by a domestic flight (also including Belarus) or if the airport of arrival is different from the airport of departure within the same Russian city (e.g. arriving at Sheremetyevo-2 and departing from Sheremetyevo-1 airport in Moscow) then a transit visa is required, as one is entering territory of the Russian Federation.

Edited: 10:21 am, February 19, 2011
Chicago
reviews: 8
6. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

I flew Aeroflot from NYC to Dubai. It was not bad.

Safety: Most of their planes are Airbuses. They have really improved their safety. Crashes are a thing of the past.

Transiting through Moscow: I have transited through moscow twice. As long as you are staying less than 24 hours, you do not need a visa. All Aeroflot international flights leave from one airport and they make it easy to transit. There is a lot of confusion on the internet on how to do this but once you get there its easy.

Service: Its not bad. You get food and entertainment. I love Russian people but their culture is very different. Its matter of fact. They do not waste time with niceties and smiles. And the passengers can be, interesting. Read these articles to gain an understanding.

en.rian.ru/russia/20101228/161968784.html

themoscownews.com/news/…188340179.html

Overall: Would I fly again. Yes. Will you get 5 star service: Maybe not. But US airlines are just as bad. Save money and fly.

Riyadh
reviews: 2
7. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Hi patience,

How was the aeroflot flight from moscow to dubai, is it good?

Is it a new airplane with tv screen at each seat?

I saw pictures of new aeroflot cabin with ptv and their orange colour

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 87
8. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

I even have a mileage card of Aeroflot. If you have money to fly other airlines, avoid it.

Don't worry, you aren't going to die even their service sucks. You'll just have to endure the pain for 10 hours or so, that's all.

Sheremetevo is ShittiMetevo, but the airport won't kill you. It will be a memorable trip, no doubt.

Edited: 3:27 pm, May 28, 2011
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 288
9. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Hi Steve :)

I just noticed this thread when Yobeekool bumped it. Are you still wondering?

I take them pretty often on Kyiv - Moscow routs. It's the largest Russian company, and it has made a certain way away from its Soviet past towards something close to due customer approach. But at the end of the day, when you choose the most budget-friendly option, you only get what you paid for.

There was a discussion on Russia forum you might interesting tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298484-i718-k4047… You might also want to look through more search results from that forum, should you wish http://tinyurl.com/6jh2vrm

Moscow, Russia
reviews: 146
10. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Seems like most Aeroflot bashers in this thread have never actually flown the airline but are just passing some stale rumors. I have been flying Aeroflot for decades and am yet to experience any problem.

Reply to: Just how bad are Aeroflot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted